Efflorescence above DPC - interior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did not want to hijack the other thread until the guy had an answer.

On the post below I describe a problem with paint "peeling" due to this problem.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=180386

Having searched for the course of the damp I think it is due to no vents into the cavity wall on that facade of the house (all others have it).

The outer wall is stone built from the original materials - with a cavity wall inside.

Would it make sense to say that providing this ventilation should help with the damp - also how easy/difficult is fitting an air brick. I am a relative novice (Keen but not skilled) is it flirting with disaster to do this myself, r is it an easy job? Man in? How much?

Thanks for any help,

B_M

Sponsored Links
Just because other houses have airbricks does not mean that yours does, and they may have been fitted for different reasons

Ventilating a cavity can cause condensation issues in itself, so do you really mean fit an air brick to ventilate the cavity or ventilate the room?

Either way that plaster is leeching salts and will have to be removed and re-plastered and possibly the wall sealed. Otherwise salts will still come through to the surface. The paint may also be sealing the wall and trapping any moisture, which would otherwise dry off

Hack the plaster off and see if the wall is actually wet - it may take a few weeks to check. It may be just a case of re-plastering with a suitable plaster or render

But you need to identify what is going on with the wall, before you can determine the solution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back