efflorescence and wet/cold bricks after boiler upgrade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a boiler installed about a month ago, upgraded from the normal cylinder + loft tank system to a combi boiler and over the past week i have noticed something come up which has never happened before.

i assume its efflorescence since it is showing the tell-tale signs. but also noticed that where the efflorescence is present the bottom bricks are slightly darker than the bricks higher up, the darker bricks are also cold to touch compared to the ones above it.

I can only assume that its because those bricks are possibly wet from the inside? Is this something that i can bring to the attention of the company who installed the boiler as this problem never occurred before the install. and do i need to seek an urgent remedy for the situation? Thanks

Sponsored Links
What's below the boiler - is there any appliance such as a washing machine etc? Have you looked for leaks on the inside?

I can't see where your damp proof course is from the pic. Are you sure someone hasn't built above it with the decking and stonework and caused the issue?

Don't be daft it's bound to be an installer issue. Even though the boilers probably miles away on the other side of the house.
:LOL:

Sponsored Links
What's below the boiler - is there any appliance such as a washing machine etc? Have you looked for leaks on the inside?

I can't see where your damp proof course is from the pic. Are you sure someone hasn't built above it with the decking and stonework and caused the issue?

The new combi is in an airing cupboard and the room behind that is the bathroom, below the boiler (but not exactly below) is the downstairs toilet. Can't spot any leaks of any sort on the inside of the house which is slightly confusing

I didn't know what damp proof course is so i just looked it up and realised what it is, I can't seem to find it anywhere along any of the brickwork? is this normal?

thanks for the advice guys

I would say you down graded to a combi from the set up you had.

Yeah it wasn't the first choice but we needed the storage space and found that was the priority so opted to get get the combi option.

I just went outside to check it again and around that bit where the brickwork is darker and wet there is moss growing inbetween the bricks (on the cement). dont know if that gives any more indication.

Would i have a right to ask the installers to come and have a look at this issue? I don't want to give them the indication that it was them who did it if it might turn out unrelated. But it just seems coincidental that something like this (water issue) as soon as my boiler gets replaced?

around that bit where the brickwork is darker and wet there is moss growing inbetween the bricks (on the cement). dont know if that gives any more indication.

It indicates persistent damp.

Is there anything, such as a porch roof or a gutter, above, that could be dripping?

Have a look with binoculars during and after rain.

There appear to be some pipes close to the damp patch. What are they? I can see limescale round the big one so it must be leaking.

Some people say that vegetation next to a house can hold rainwater and slow evaporation.

If it's down to the boiler then there would normally be damp internally too. If I'm reading you right the airing cupboard where it's installed isn't even on an outiside wall? In which case it seems very unlikely. Plus the two pics are of different locations.

The damp proof course is visible from the mortar bed. It will be like dark plastic sticking out slightly from the mortar. All outside paving should be below it by 15cm. Depending on drainage and other factors you can be close to the course and not have issues in reality but above it you will certainly have problems as you will be bridging damp across, especially with soil or a sand bed.

When it's raining go out and see how your water is draining - it should be away from the house. Also look out for leaking gutters etc.

That hedge is not going to help you either. Shouldn't be so close to the house.

OK then

I can see limescale round the big one so where is it coming from?

If that is limescale the last place it will be coming from is the gas pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back