Efflorescence in Garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've not got photos at the moment but I have some minerally deposits on the surface of two rows of bricks in my garage. One row I believe is where my DPC is and the higher row is where my neighbours garage floor is roughly. I've been told it is probably efflorescence, but it has a bluey green substance on it, which initially I thought was mould but it doesn't smell like mould, could this just be a colouration of the minerals coming through? It also doesn't feel damp to the touch but...

One concern is that I have a dividing stud wall in the garage that was plastered, the plaster butts up against the wall in question and I can see damp rings appearing where the plaster meets these two rows of bricks. Am I best to chip the plaster away from that area to stop anything spreading? It's just a home brewery/man cave not a proper conversion.

Secondly I want to damp proof and insulate the problem wall, it's a very cold wall and I've noticed that anything I put near it will get covered in mould if it's not bone dry. If I was to cover it over with a vapour barrier Celotex insulation am I just covering the issue and risking problems further down the line? Is there anything else I can do? Does it need a DPC injecting into the bricks?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Probably damp from bridging from floor or next door. Nothing wrong with a stud wall to insulate just use fixings that wont transfer damp and use membrane under floor studs.

Blup

One concern is that I have a dividing stud wall in the garage that was plastered, the plaster butts up against the wall in question and I can see damp rings appearing where the plaster meets these two rows of bricks. Am I best to chip the plaster away from that area to stop anything spreading?

Yes

Plaster can bridge a DPC and encourage damp to spread by capillary action more than it would in clean brickwork

Does it need a DPC injecting into the bricks?
No.

Do not allow anyone who sells chemical injections into your home.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back