Eggshell cracks in ceiling!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a follow on topic from the "pva between coats of finishing", I posted the other day.

Can anyone shed some light on this please???

I finished the ceiling and it all looks alright apart from one part of the ceiling where small eggshell like cracks appeared when it started to dry!!!!

The area was above the radiator, would that have something to do with it??
How is this going to affect the plaster??

Naz

Sponsored Links
The heat from the radiator would probably have caused it to dry out before it had set, plus, maybe the suction from the first coat of plaster too. Did you put on two coats of finish?
As regards to the small eggshell like cracks,, if the cracked area is sound, i'd give the ceiling a mist coat of emulsion, then lightly skim over the cracked area with a thin coat, (maybe 2),, of ready mix joint finish (Gyproc Prolite), then sand it down when dry,, works a treat as a fine surface finish, i use it all the time on lightly damaged walls/ceilings. Use a 150 grit sandpaper to sand it with, it wont scratch where the ready mix feathers away onto the plaster,, and remember, the smoother you put it on, the less sanding down afterwards. If you do use the ready mix option, let each thin coat dry out completely before you put on the next one,,, unlike plaster,, you'll "need" suction from the first coat when using Prolite. It spreads just like butter.

I gave it one coat on the first day and the second coat on the next day after another two coats of pva.

When you say "mist coat of emulsion" do you watered down emulsion sprayed with a bottle??? And can I get this gyproc prolite from wickes??

Naz[/quote]

A mist coat of emulsion is, ""MATT"" emulsion, thinned down with 25% to 30%water,,, so roughly 3 parts emulsion to 1 part water. This is then put on with a roller. I stress the words MATT EMULSION again for the mist coat.
I get Gyproc Prolite from our local Travis Perkins. Wickes might stock it, i don't know. It comes in a 17ltr tub which would be far too much for a small job like yours. If you know any friends that are painters or tapers, you might be able get a small amount from them, for all you'd need.

Sponsored Links
I get Gyproc Prolite from our local Travis Perkins. Wickes might stock it, i don't know.

Hi RC. Is it http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...s/gyproc_accessories/gyproc_promix__lite.aspx

Also, are the ready mixed fillers like this better for a longer shelf life once opened?
As opposed to a bag of powdered easifill for example?

Sorry to hijack a couple of questions OP

I never use Easifill at all for this type of work, just the Promix, along with Gyproc Filler if i need it. Promix will keep for a good few weeks or so once opened, but at this time of year, you must bring it inside away from the frost. I keep it in a cupboard with the lid tightly on,, you don't want it to dry out either. I always have a tub of this handy, for any taping or for skimming over areas of minor damage, such as where wallpaper has pulled off emulsion, so instead of skimming the whole wall, the blemished surface areas can be flushed easily flushed off and sanded down. I've also skimmed over whole walls/ceilings with the stuff too,, great to work with, but it's "not" a plaster. A 17ltr tub costs around £25.00 or so.

Thanks for the wise words Roughcaster, I'll give it a go.

By the way when I mist coat the ceiling with emulsion it won't pull the plaster off, will it???

Naz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back