Eggshell through spray gun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you use a spray gun to apply eggshell paint. Assume if you can 50/50 thinned with white spirit?

Sponsored Links
yes you can spray any paint that is designed for brush application.

if it is an alkyd paint then white spirit will work ok.
if waterbased use water....

it doesnt need thinning 50/50 -just thin it until it seems like thin oil, try a spray out and add more thinners as required.

for an hvlp set up you need a needle of around 1.6 / 1.8 / 2.0

I have sprayed OB eggshell with my HVLP. I thinned it with white spirit (about 10%) and added some Owatrol oil. Be advised that the over spray is very sticky and remains so for quite a long time. I wouldn't consider spraying it indoors (unless it was a building site).

I have never tried to spray WB eggshell. I suspect that my old Fuji HVLP would struggle to atomise it unless I thinned it so much that the paint end up being compromised (given that waterbased paints cure via coalescence).

Most of my furniture/cabinet spraying is with acid cat (2K) paint. It is a 2 pack paint that is very easy to atomise. It is also far more durable than oil or waterbased paints. I can spray a sheet of MDF and lift it up after as little as 30 minutes. Depending on the amount of pigment in the paint, I can sand it after a couple of hours. On the down side, it is isocyanate based and very toxic. You are supposed to have a clean air breathing supply when working with it. I admit that I normally use it outdoors whilst wearing an ABEK face mask, far from ideal and not something I would ever recommend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back