Eiffel Tower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know when the Eiffel Tower will be open to the general public again or will it be closed for the foreseeable future due to terrorist threats? like the Post Office Tower was

Sponsored Links
Didn't know it was shut.

I didn't think France would be in the front line for terrorist threats as they didn't join the war, but then again......

A colleague of mine went on his honeymoon to Paris just three weeks ago, and one of the things he said they did was go to the Eiffel Tower, and they went to the very top.

So, it is open.

France are susceptible to terrorist threats not because of the war but more because they treated their colonies pretty badly, and many of them are islamic... just look at Algeria for instance. Paris has had problems with ghettos filled with poor muslims for a good many years. Seriously, South Central LA type violence with guns, very difficult to amount to anything in French society if you grow up in those communities.

I am not sure of the political ins and outs, but I wouldn't be surprised if this played a part in their declining to join us over in Iraq... I could mention some other reasons but hey ;)

Sponsored Links
Just re-read my response and realised it doesn't say what I meant it to say.

I didn't mean that because France's colonies are islamic that this was a terrorist risk. What I meant was, BECAUSE they are Islamic, ignorant people lump the risk to France from these countries together with the anti-US/UK threat. The truth is, this is a totally separate terrorist threat to the one that the UK and the US are (or are not) facing.

Of course there are bound to be links between the two threats, but we are not a united front with France on this, so their threat and our threat are different.

when i was there (last year) there were soldiers and jeandames wandering around, guns at the ready

breezer said:
when i was there (last year) there were soldiers and jeandames wandering around, guns at the ready

Yes, but I doubt they had bullets in them or anything, probably novelty cigarette lighters ;)

Remember Haiti back in February? After Aristide was overthrown? Despite fighting in Iraq, the US sends some troops. Not to be outdone, France decides to send troops too, after all it was a French colony 200 years ago!

What is the first thing the French unload off the transports? Water. No, not just plain old drinking water, in great big containers. No. Evian mineral water, in poncy little 500ml bottles. Seriously! I know water is important, I practically run on steam! But how is anyone to take your forces seriously if they prance about unloading Evian, instead of shouting lots and looking dead hard? :confused:

thanks gentlemen,i must have just been unlucky then

What, you were there recently and it was closed?

Perhaps there had been a bomb threat so they had cleared it to be on the safe side?

securespark said:
never sh*gg*d a government minister, then...

Nope.

Labour too boring, Tories too kinky... not enough Lib Dems to form a proper opinion! :oops:

"The New Statesman" is being repeated on Sky at the moment. Remember the sitcom where Rik Mayall plays a Tory Euro-MP in the early 90s? Not as subtle as "Yes Minister", but still good fun.

AdamW said:
securespark said:
never sh*gg*d a government minister, then...

Nope.

Labour too boring, Tories too kinky... not enough Lib Dems to form a proper opinion! :oops:

"The New Statesman" is being repeated on Sky at the moment. Remember the sitcom where Rik Mayall plays a Tory Euro-MP in the early 90s? Not as subtle as "Yes Minister", but still good fun.

Lib Dems? Might as well vote for my neighbour.

Sponsored Links
Back