Elderly aquavac repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I inherited this aquavac from the early eighties and it's come in very handy until it blew. I can't really afford to replace it although I can't afford to do without it either as much of my work is plumbing repairs.
It seems to have gone because the fan was jammed by something. It made a bang and smelt of burning a bit.
The motor itself seems to be ok (although I'm certainly not expert) and I've been assured that replacements are no longer available. I tried a part suggested by my local vacuum repair shop but it wouldn't fit.
Is there any chance it's the red component (a capacitor?) that wants replacing and is so, where would I find one?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think the capacitor on these is purely for TV supression, so take it out of the circuit and give it a go.
If the carbon brushes prove to be ok, I'm afraid the motor has called it a day. The burning pong usually proves this!
John :)

Well, capacitor removed and it seems to work. Is it worth replacing? I don't want it to be any more temperamental than it already is!

Well, capacitor removed and it seems to work. Is it worth replacing? I don't want it to be any more temperamental than it already is!

They're there for a reason.

What was it rated for?

Sponsored Links
Run the machine somewhere near to a TV or radio.....if the reception goes beserk then conscience may tap you on the shoulder :p
You'll get a cap from the likes of Maplins, RS etc if you need one - it will have voltage and capacitance markings i.e uf.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back