Testing a motor...

I've seen and used Flymos that have been full of grass etc that has got past the foam filter. None have failed. However I'm glad Mike from London and dishman have bonded over a common love of bodging motors!
This is what I love about democracy, as one can spurt out whatever crap one can come up with, feel free to make comments, I really don't know why some people come on here if they can't be of any use to someone apart from raising unfounded concerns, that repair Dishman conducted far exceeds the original spec. You are probably surprised and shocked that together with my assistance he managed to repair his lawn mover and with his expertise and knowledge of old PCs he managed to help me going with my Pentium-S based computer that I was struggling with.
A real gem that guy.

Sponsored Links
I've seen and used Flymos that have been full of grass etc that has got past the foam filter. None have failed.

That may be, but I noticed and read poor reviews of this model on amazon and other sites, many citing motor failures very early on. So, looking at the design, internally and externally I noticed that the intake vents are very small and very low to the ground and get totally blocked on the outside very easily and are covered up on the inside. So, I thought it was worth a mention regardless.

Last edited:
In many, many years of ownership, my (second-hand purchase) petrol mower has never failed to start after the winter lay-off, despite me not draining the tank, not fogging the carb, not bathing it in the tears of Essex virgins etc.

And not once has the engine overheated because of anything getting clogged with grass cuttings.

I submit that any mower design, be the engine petrol, electric, or a matter-antimatter reactor, where the engine can fail because grass cuttings can clog some vital cooling path is totally f****d, and not in any way fit for purpose.

Mike , if your comment about spurting crap is aimed at me, can I remind you what the Plumbing and Heating forum think of your contributions?

Sponsored Links
Mike , if your comment about spurting crap is aimed at me, can I remind you what the Plumbing and Heating forum think of your contributions?
Relax Dave, my comments were not aimed specifically at you or anyone, but just in general, people who come on here to seek advice should be helped in whatever way one can, we all know about dangers of many things, our parents start teaching us when we are 3 years old onwards that electricity is dangerous, dangers of touching hot things, fire, sharp objects, not to play with matches, not to cross roads in busy streets, they even warn us of strangers, jumping off heights, so when someone comes on here seeking advice about a lawn mover, already that person would be aware of dangers of electricity, insulation damage on electrical cables, etc etc. and if that person finds a fault which in this case he did, it was then just a matter of guiding him how best to repair that joint.

As for your second comment, the answer is I know pretty well what they think of me, but I know what to think of them, whenever their names cross my mind, I get a picture of them what a bunch of cartoons they ar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back