Elec Meter Switch Off, But Some Lights Are Still On !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise how this could happen ? On Sunday afternoon, all the lights in the original part of the house went off. The lights and sockets in the extension were still on. I checked both fuse boxes and all was ok. We then checked the electric meter box and the switch was in the off position. We put it to the on position and everything went back to normal. Very strange. Anyone got any ideas ?

a) how could the lights work if the meter was switched off
b) how could the meter switch off by itself ?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have had this once. It seemed the neighbour always left the key while on holiday and previous owners had taken opportunity to drill wall and tap into next doors ring.

Isolators should always switch down to isolate in case anything should fall on them so they fail safe. Likely something has fallen on the isolator.

We then checked the electric meter box and the switch was in the off position.
What is this switch?

What's it wired between?

Anyone got any ideas ?
I have one which says your story so far doesn't make sense.

If an isolation switch built into the meter was off then there are two ways they could still work:

1) They are on a separate metered supply and you have another meter somewhere.

2) They are on a separate metered supply belonging to someone else.

It can't.

Well, you cannot switch of the meter.
It seems likely that you have an RCD covering the original circuits.
If it is an RCD then a fault could have switched it off - could be just a lamp blowing.

Are there any junction boxes between the meter and the 'switch'?
If there are, a separate feed to the new extension consumer unit seems likely. This new CU will have to incorporate RCD(s) being a new installation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. But :

I don't know what the switch is, it's in the electric meter box, on our outside wall, behind bins, so nobody could tamper with it.

There is only one meter and 2 fuse boxes.

Should I be concerned, ie future electrical work and not being able to turn the electric off at the mains ??

Very odd.

thanks

Good quality photograph of the meter and fuseboxes would be helpful.

Should I be concerned, ie future electrical work and not being able to turn the electric off at the mains ??
You need not be concerned in that respect.

You can still turn off at the CUs. Very convenient having two.

That's all most people can do. There is normally no switch in the meter box.

Some thing is clearly wrong.
Where an isolator is fitted normally it should switch off all the supply. Seems a henley box has been used wrong side of isolator. In the event of a fire the fireman would expect that to isolate all so really does want correcting for his safety.
I have know kids to think its fun to switch off power. Keys are universal so easy enough.
As long as switching both consumer units off removes all power then no real danger to you.

Roofers in Florida recommended by someone in Bangladesh in reply to an electrical query in Britain. :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back