ElecLocal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need to install power to my detached garage that sits about 10m from my house. I plan on doing the donkey work myself, supplying as much of the kit myself and getting a spark in to do the scary bits (connecting to the CU at the house and testing). The first number that I have come up with is for an elec-local guy, are this firm any good? I believe that they are a national franchise type company. Have any of you had any dealings with them or experience with them? Can anyone give me an idea of a ballpark quote for this work (6mm 4core SWA will be presented at either end of the run for the electrician to terminate, i have the CU for the garage end, he may need to supply bits n bobs like a few M of 6mm t&e and some KO boxes to finish etc) . Also will he be open to me supplying these parts and him fitting them?

I hope that lot makes sense!

Cheers

CG.

Sponsored Links
You'd be better off with a true independant, the elec-local presents quite big overheads AFAIK

Most of them have only had a couple of weeks training after leaving their office jobs ;) they specalise in recruiting people and getting them through the domestic installers qualification which was really only meant for kitchen fitters and the like who already do practical work and probably all ready do electrics....

Also if you're doing the actual electrical work (as opposed to just digging trenches) you'll still need to go through building control to notify it, I suppose you can try and get a registered guy to sign it off as if it was an employee of his that did it, but its wonky ground :LOL: , to do things properly you really want a mulitpart EIC with both your signatures on it and take the job through LABC...

Try looking here http://www.competentperson.co.uk/ for someone local to you.

Get two or three quotes.

Also if you supply equipment for electrician to fit there could be warrantee problems in the future. In anycase he will be able get materials at a better price than you can.

Discuss with the sparky that you are prepared to do the donkey work - digging trench, dragging cables - filling in trenches, after all none of us in the trade like the heavy labour side of it and if someone does it for us for free all the better.

thanks to all who replied...

However!

The elec local people called me back to tell me that the guy who serves my area (Ayrshire Scotland) has left the company so they couldnt help.

I spoke to another independant electrician last night on the phone, i told him i had the SWA, CU and that I could run the cable to keep costs down, he agreed that was the best plan. His quote (over the phone without looking at the job mind) seemed a bit high - £200 - I dont know if it is or not so I intend to get a few quotes. How does that stack up to you guys?

To answer one poster: I already have the CU etc and I bought the SWA from ebay new for about £22 which was a bargain for 25M of 4core 6mm... TLC wanted about 80 IIRC.

Sponsored Links
Two hundred pounds for the labour sounds like a good deal to me.

Remember electricians have got to make a living after all.

Reynardine said:
Two hundred pounds for the labour sounds like a good deal to me.

Remember electricians have got to make a living after all.

I have no problem paying what the job is worth, I just want to ensure that I dont get ripped off!

£200 doesn't seem insanely expensive for what I suspect will end up being a half days work but do get multiple quotes as prices do vary a lot arround the country.

Some points

I notice you live in Ayrshire so I would reccomend me :D :)

Also Part P does not appkly to Scotland- there is no notification required.

List of competent companies in Scotland.
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/SearchCoResults.asp

Competent persons in Scotland
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp

Other points- is your garage new and part of a building warrant ? then you NEED to use someone on the list
http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/devser/documents/bsguidancecei.pdf
Straight from the horses mouth

When getting work done (even externally) the main bonding needs checked - if your house is new (within past 10-15 years) this should be OK.
Otherwise you will need a 10mm earth to water and gas - from consumer unit / earth terminal.

You also need RCD protection (which you may already have) if you have a modern consumer unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back