Electric Boiler Running Costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Been viewing rural properties and one I saw yesterday a 3 bedroom chalet bungalow had an electric boiler (I usually come across oil) that feeds the hot water to the house which is all underfloor heating.
I got concerned when the vendor said if it gets really cold we occasionally plug in a wall rad.

Couple of questions

Given electricity prices are going through the roof will it be a lot more expensive to run than oil or LPG?

Will it take longer to heat up given that floors can't be as hot as rads obviously?

Anything else I need to be made ware of?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It'll be about four times the cost of oil and twice the cost of LPG to run (unless the LPG is bottles rather than bulk, which are significantly more expensive). That being said, UFH is cheaper to run than radiators so you'll save a bit there. It's potentially an ideal conversion for an air source heat pump

Always good to be aware of what is said by someone hoping to sell you something.

Underfloor not enough to keep property warm in the coldest weather could be boiler too small, underfloor too small, but also might be underfloor is to be operated 24/7 so probably it was too expensive to operate and they heated when in occupation only.

How long have they been there, how well is it insulated, is it possible to insulate it very well at reasonable cost without destroying the aesthetic, but best ask to look at their last couple of years electricity bills.

If you really want that dream home you'll put up with everything else anyway, love or ambition is blind.

Always good to be aware of what is said by someone hoping to sell you something.

Underfloor not enough to keep property warm in the coldest weather could be boiler too small, underfloor too small, but also might be underfloor is to be operated 24/7 so probably it was too expensive to operate and they heated when in occupation only.

How long have they been there, how well is it insulated, is it possible to insulate it very well at reasonable cost without destroying the aesthetic, but best ask to look at their last couple of years electricity bills.

If you really want that dream home you'll put up with everything else anyway, love or ambition is blind.

I did ask how much the electricity bills were and the vendor was hesitant but he explained it was a second home and wasn't always occupied so it wouldn't be a true reflection of normal running costs.
The house looks to be quite high spec all round (it's been completely renovated). Good quality double glazing etc. I had a look at the boiler. I'm not an expert but it looked quite new and so did the valves and pipework.

I guess I'll weigh it all up before deciding.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It'll be about four times the cost of oil and twice the cost of LPG to run (unless the LPG is bottles rather than bulk, which are significantly more expensive). That being said, UFH is cheaper to run than radiators so you'll save a bit there. It's potentially an ideal conversion for an air source heat pump

How much would an air source heat pump conversion cost roughly?

Thanks

Depends on exactly what's there now and how much work is required, but you'd qualify for up to £10k in Renewable Heat Incentive payments from the government.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back