Electric boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat in a large modern block (about 10 year old) and the management have declared that to bring the block up to 2013 regs the current gas boilers need replacing as the flues are unable to be inspected along their length.

The supposed discounted options given to us by a large company willing to take on the work (I bet they are) are to relocate the (new) gas boiler to an outside wall (£4k!), install an electric boiler in it's current location (>£4k!!).

It's a 1st floor one bedroom apartment with one bathroom and five radiators, the current heating bills are quite reasonable by today's standards.

Firstly, does anyone know much about this reg change?

And secondly, what are electric boilers like to maintain and run water and c/h? It's a rental property so I won't be paying the bills myself but don't want it to be ridiculous amounts to run or service.

I thought the prices above were rather steep, too.

Many thanks in advance

Clive

Sponsored Links
As a Landlord, you'd certainly be cheaper with an electric boiler. I'm not sure about the re-sale value of the property though, with doing away with the gas boiler??!!

There's two types of electric boiler; 'Flowthrough' & 'Storage'. The later being more expensive to buy but cheaper to run.

Thanks for replying.

True, they aren't the most desirable but they don't require an annual gas service either which is a plus.

Relocating the site of the gas boiler is not ideal though as the proposed placement isn't very aesthetic and will be in the living area where it might be a little noisy and intrusive.

I'd prefer the storage type I think, there's plenty of room for one as it currently has it's own cupboard. I'm guessing fitting will be somewhat cheaper as well (if I find a decent independent) than a relocation.

Does anyone have any ballpark figures for a suitable boiler? Or some firsthand experience?

IMHO fitting an electric boiler will adversely affect both the resale and the rental value of the property. Electricity is about 3x the price of gas.

If you could post a rough floor plan of the flat with room uses and dimensions showing existing boiler cupboard and external walls, we may be able to suggest a gas boiler that can go in the boiler cupboard and have either concentric or parallel small flue pipes that could run completely through your flat and be boxed in but accessible.

Sponsored Links
The only other idea I had was rerouting the current flue through the lounge in the upper corner of the ceiling and boxing it in.

It would simply mean turning it through 90 degrees as it heads up and through the ceiling and exits over the bedroom at the moment.

Is this an option?

I'm no boiler epxert, but if it was me, I'd consider sacrificing some of that lounge/diner space to put in a DEEP boiler cupboard, which could also be used for coats and storage etc, but essentially, would allow the boiler to be installed on the external wall.

Because this woulf form a super-deep airing cupboard sort of thing, the pipes could simply be extended from the current location along the wall surface to the boiler. No need to box them in etc.

This would also give you good access to put electrics on the living room wall, and perhaps hang a flatscreen TV, giving it that "modern" feel and probably increasing the resale value.

If you feel up to it, the partition wall could be up in an afternoon. I'd say the whole job could be done (with a bit of DIY), including replacing the boiler with new, for £2k.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back