Electric Heating Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently moved to a property that needs updating we are looking at installing a new CH system. (currently we have coal fire+back boiler). Since there is no mains gas and it is a small two bedroom terrace with little room for tanks/bottles we are considering Wet Electric CH boilers. So far we are looking at getting quotes for two types - the Trianco Aztec and the FIFOS boiler. I am unable to find out any information on running costs for the Trianco Aztec boiler - so I wondered if anyone has experience? Obviously with this type of system the electrical tariff is important but this should be the same for each boiler.

Sponsored Links
Don't really follow your line of thought. What you want is to get kWHours of energy into the house. I can't see how an electric boiler is other than 100% efficient so they should all be the same. It's the room thermostat setting which will change your cost!

If you've got deep pockets, an electric boiler will indeed operate at 100 percent efficiency, converting a lot of money into hot water in the rads!
OTOH, you might be better off with an electric heatstore operated as much as possible using off-peak tariff (Economy 7). But to be effective the heatstore would need to be BIG! So is there any place to put it?
Have a look at the Gledhill website.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of them as condensing boilers get to be a pain to place. Good for landlords; no annual cert or service, no plume, and the tenant pays the bill. Maybe they do a combi version?!

Sponsored Links
'COURSE they do!
Most of the electric heatstores operate at about 80C and have a secondary HX bolted on the side for HW.

Thanks for the comments/advice. We probably don't have much room for a heatstore, although I may look at into this further.

I appreciate that both boilers would probably operate at 100% efficiency heating the water, but there may be differences in the way in which the unit modulates the supply once working temperature is achieved. I know that the FIFOS boiler has 2 or 3 stages of heating so that when operating temperature is achieved it can 'switch down' to maintain temperature using less KWh. I don't know much about the Trianco system. The FIFOS system is well documented but the Trianco one isn't. (maybe I should ask Trianco).

I have looked around at Electric Tariffs and I think that running costs may not be as high as you might think. Various high user tariffs are available (depending on where you live), and you get ALL your electricity at the lower rate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back