Trianco Electric Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking to install a Trianco Electric Boiler in our house. Do we need an electrician, a plumber or both to carry out this work?

Sorry for the thick question but we've only had gas before. I'm ok with electricity but plumbing has me bemused.

Also, a less thick question I hope, we currently have solid fuel heating with a back boiler. Is it possible to retain the back boiler and use this to feed the electric boiler so that when the coal fire is lit during the winter we will need less electricity to heat the central heating to the required temp.? Is it simply a case of installing the electric boiler in line with the existing pipe work?

I suppose it would be easier to have the back boiler removed, however our plan is to switch off the radiator in the living room and use the coal fire as a room heater there because it's so nice to have a real fire going.

Sponsored Links
The question you are asking should really be directed at Trianco; but there are ways of connecting controlled and uncontrolled heat sources together, such as the 'Durnsley Heat neutraliser' for example.

Electric heating is a viable option in a very well insulated home to the latest standards. If you are not in a well insulated dwelling you will be paying mostly peak rate electricity, and lots of it.

Storage heaters were invented to avoid the crippling cost of real-time peak rate electrical heating. You are proposing to put in a system that uses electricity at double the charging rate of a storage heater. NB: Trianco have a chequered past in terms of solvency, you may want to research this.

My advice would be to investigate LPG, Kerosene and perhaps wood pellets as an option.

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks,

It's going to be a temporary measure I think. We urgently need an alternative to solid fuel for the winter but have talked about ground source heat pumps this weekend as a long term solution so we are having a look at that too...Ice Energy are going to be at the Homebuilding and Renovating Show in Harrogate in a few weeks so we'll visit that and have a proper talk with someone about them. I guess there will be reps from other such companies there also.

Since we need to remove all the walls, ceilings, floors we intend to install the best insulating materials we can afford when we put them back....I do agree that the electricity will cost an arm and a leg in the meantime though, but it can't cost as much as coal and at least it won't run out two days before the coal man comes back! :rolleyes:

I think the problem is that having been used to mains gas it takes a bit of getting used to the idea that fuel will run out...whichever system we choose would ideally provide a constant source of fuel without having to watch what we use and ensure we have enough until the next time it's topped up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back