Electric Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to look at a job next week (I am a sparky and usually lurk in the Electrics UK Forum!) for some people who want an electric boiler fitted. I have heard of them before but never fitted one or seen one. How do they work exactly? Any links? I know they are very efficient as there is no flue and so no heat losses, however are they a viable alternative to heating with gas or oil?
The property I ma going to see is in the countryside and has no gas or oil supply at present. This is why they are thinking of this to do there central heating and hot water.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
They're horribly expensive to run and in most cases oil or LPG is a better option, unless they have nowhere to site storage for it. Mostly they just work like a giant electric shower - there is a demand for heat, the pump runs, elements get hot etc.

Electric boilers come in two guises;
The first being a 'flow through' type boiler, these have very little water content & generally run on the tariff that's available at the heating required times.
The second type is a 'storage' type boiler, this having a high water capacity that'll store heated water for the next heating times, this type will enable the home owner to provide heat on a more favourable tariff.

The economy of these systems are very much dependent on the tariff & occupants lifestyle.

For the first type of boiler, normally the hot water is provided by twin immersion element type large HW cylinder. One element on a cheap rate tariff & the other as a boost, these units are generally referred to as E7 cylinders.

For the second type of boiler the hot water comes directly from the unit & having an internal coil to provide central heating.

Here's one that I can recommend;
http://www.heatwell.co.uk/our-products/electric-combi-storage-boiler/

In any rural location a Heat Pump would be a much better option than a simple electric boiler, however, there's several ruling factors in determining what system would be best suited to the property. NEVER trust the greenwash ex used car salesmen that sell heat pumps. Green products are the new Double Glazing for these sharks!!
HTH

They're horribly expensive to run and in most cases oil or LPG is a better option, unless they have nowhere to site storage for it. Mostly they just work like a giant electric shower - there is a demand for heat, the pump runs, elements get hot etc.

Totally misinformed dear boy, however, each day is a Skool day for us all.

Sponsored Links
As far as am awear they range from 4 to 14kw Potterton do one.

Am unsure on how efficient these are tho maybe someone here could advise.

Can fit to S & Y plan systems vented or unvented.

Yeah, the Potterton is a 'flow through' type boiler, as I detailed above.
Please try to keep up dear boy & why on earth would you fit an S or Y plan with this type of system? That would be a complete waste of money!!

Please try to keep up dear boy & why on earth would you fit an S or Y plan with this type of system? That would be a complete waste of money!!

I fitted a flow boiler as an S plan for the reason it meant a quicker reheat times.

I had a 12kw HeatreaSadia fitted with an unvented cyl. Thought better the 12kw heats the water than the 6kw immersion. The efficiency is rated at 99% an as the Flow Boiler was next to the cyl no losses from the pipes.

THAT WAS MY THEORY may be balls but it worked well!!!

I fitted a flow boiler as an S plan for the reason it meant a quicker reheat times.

I had a 12kw HeatreaSadia fitted with an unvented cyl. Thought better the 12kw heats the water than the 6kw immersion. The efficiency is rated at 99% an as the Flow Boiler was next to the cyl no losses from the pipes.

What leccy tariff was the house on Pink Panther??

What leccy tariff was the house on Pink Panther??

Fook knows (whats pink panther!?)

The lady had a fear of gas and wouldnt have a boiler fitted (also didnt want to spend £3k to be connected to grid) so elec it was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back