Efficient Electric boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cost of bringing gas to my property and installing a central heating system is prohibitive. I am considering alternatives.

I would like to be able to remove the internal cold water tank and the imersion heater and install instead an efficient electric boiler instead. is there one you would recommend?

Sponsored Links
lpg cheapest to get up and running. 2 47kg bottle and a boiler
and you are up and running.
That would barely cover the cost of an oil tank.

If electric boilers are 100% efficient at the point of use, does it mean that for a 2 bedroom flat, with only one shower, it is not necessary to have an storage heater as well?

Sponsored Links
If electric boilers are 100% efficient at the point of use, does it mean that for a 2 bedroom flat, with only one shower, it is not necessary to have an storage heater as well?

storage heaters use off peak electric thats around 400% efficient [1/4 the price]
ok not more than 100% but around 75% cheaper at say 3-5p a unit off peak over 12-20p peak rate

With leccy heating a Heat Pump would be first choice and with flats a split air source heat pump maybe your only option.

If a HP is out of the question then a Storage Electric boiler is best, the other choice is a Flow Through electric boiler. The former will store heat that's generated on a cheap tariff, the later doesn't have that advantage

Establishing your cheapest tariff is a good starter regardless.
HTH

storage heaters use off peak electric thats around 400% efficient [1/4 the price]
ok not more than 100% but around 75% cheaper at say 3-5p a unit off peak over 12-20p peak rate

As always very informative big-all.

The disadvantage of electric storage heaters is a) Tariffs b) Difficulty in controlling the heat, when seasonal weather changes. I'd never recommend electric storage heaters, they're the work of the Devil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back