Gas Boiler Efficiency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas Central Heating boiler used year round for Heating and Hot Water. The system uses the Circulating pump in both modes using diverter valves
Obviously the efficiency of the GAs Boiler will be lower when used on Hot Water only during the summer Months. Due to this inefficiency my gas bills are only about 25% of that which I get for the Winter when the Heating is Used extensively.
This kind of comparison suggests to me that the Boiler is rather more inefficient when used for Hot Water only than I had expected.
This raised the question that would it be cheaper to use an electric immersion heater, rather than the gas boiler during the Summer Months for the provision of Hot Water only.
Has anyone done an energy usage/price comparison for this type of hot water supply as it would seem to me that it may be more efficient to use the electric immersion heater rather than run a Gas Boiler so inefficiently.

Sponsored Links
this area of the north east are one of the most tight fisted people on the face of the earth

Hysteresis said:
I have a gas Central Heating boiler used year round for Heating and Hot Water. The system uses the Circulating pump in both modes using diverter valves
Obviously the efficiency of the GAs Boiler will be lower when used on Hot Water only during the summer Months. Due to this inefficiency my gas bills are only about 25% of that which I get for the Winter when the Heating is Used extensively.
This kind of comparison suggests to me that the Boiler is rather more inefficient when used for Hot Water only than I had expected.
This raised the question that would it be cheaper to use an electric immersion heater, rather than the gas boiler during the Summer Months for the provision of Hot Water only.
Has anyone done an energy usage/price comparison for this type of hot water supply as it would seem to me that it may be more efficient to use the electric immersion heater rather than run a Gas Boiler so inefficiently.

Gas is about 1/4 to 1/3 of the price per kW than electricity. Summer and winter.

DHW takes a lot of energy to heat, while heating a well insulated house may be quite frugal these days because of higher insulation levels. In some new homes, DHW is around 50 to 60% of total gas bill.

Sponsored Links
gas4you and mehran
I can't see the point of you posting non helpful replies, it is a waste of your time and mine.
This site is for genuine DIYer's help so don't spoil the party if you have nothing to offer.
In so far as Tight Fisted Northerners - Have you not heard of trying to be energy efficient for the sake of the planet and this has nothing to do with the money in your pocket.
If you can't offer helpful advice then just don't bother posting replies

Could also say if you are trying to save the planet why have you got a computer on burning electric ;)

namsag said:
Could also say if you are trying to save the planet why have you got a computer on burning electric ;)

Laptop on a battery recharged on a solar charger :?: ;)

Reminds me of my mother-in-law, she ain't got a sense of humour either :LOL:

gas4you said:
Reminds me of my mother-in-law, she ain't got a sense of humour either :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: Mine must have, somewhere beneath that whichlike exterior,,,,, after all she brought my wife up :LOL: ;)

namsag said:
Its dark olski laptop battery max1 to 2 hour life

Ah namsag mate you need to junk that old bg laptop in the samsonite case....my battery does 5 hours unless i do games or dvds. :)

Hysteresis said:
gas4you and mehran
I can't see the point of you posting non helpful replies, it is a waste of your time and mine.
This site is for genuine DIYer's help

I think that you are a little off the mark!

Your original posting related to the efficiency of your boiler when heating hot water! Has it ever occured to you that the efficiency of your boiler depends on the exact type of boiler? You did not think it was relevant to mention that!!!

All the useful help on this site is given by heating professionals, free of charge in their spare time.

If you would like us to help you then you need to make your initial posting give the full information and you should realise that there may be a lot of people here who know more that you about boiler and heating efficiencies.

If you were only answered by DIYers then dont you think that it would be a case of the blind leading the blind?

Tony

Hi Tony(Agile)
That is fair comment , but in my defence as A DIYer I would have thought all Gas Boilers were inefficient when on Hot Water only and as such my query was generic rather than specific.
My Boiler is a GlowWorm - Ultimate with a specified heat input of 29.87KW installed on a new house 7 years ago.
This site is a fantastic forum for us DIY Numpties, and we lesser mortals appreciate the help and advice given by you professionals. As I said in the last sentence of my original posting 'This site is for genuine DIYer's help' I did not say that it was DIYer's supplying the help which your reply suggests.
My understanding that there are people here that know far more about Heating systems here than I do is reasonably obvious. That is the very reason I posted the query, If I knew more than you, I would not need to ask the question.

TO THE MODERATORS
Once again we have an example were people are making comments to a genuine query which are irrelavant to the original question. In this instance people making silly comments about the electricity a lap top uses and subsequent responses, when the original query was related to Gas Boilers.
We DIYer's need all the help we can get from the professionals such as Agile, we don't want irrelavant rubbish detracting from the query.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back