Is this possible?

Sponsored Links
The guy asked for a pump to increase the flow of water for his extension in both the hot and cold supplies. the only way of incorporating a secondary return into this is to change to a pressurized cylinder and have the whole thing at a uniform pressure, then you can pop on a bronze pump to keep everything flowing.

Thanks or your replies

I understand the idea of sitting a secondary return and think this is a good idea , but surely a circulating pump this isnt going to provide enough flow for the standard shower

Also - Would a circulating pump switch on automatically like a shower pump - a vacuum type operation?

Fitting a shower pump on basically the same circuit sounds like one fighting the other , or am i wrong ;)

Sponsored Links
a circulating pump like the Grundfos bronze is basically a central heating pump (circulator). It just keeps the hot water going round and round so there is always hot when you turn the tap on. It does not create noticable pressure, and it is not intended to be a shower pump.

In your case it would also turn the pipes into long thin radiators, so, despite the insulation, there would be heat loss. I know someone with a gravity loop to their second bathroom, the cylinder goes half cold overnight.

Your right unless its piped and wired in a certain way, ie return connection taken off before the shower pump and secondary pump wired to shut off when the shower pump switches on then it would not work. If the pipes and cylinder are insulated properly as in loads of armaflex then it would be a good system. Better than waiting 10 minutes for hot low pressure water in any case.

Your right unless its piped and wired in a certain way, ie return connection taken off before the shower pump and secondary pump wired to shut off when the shower pump switches on then it would not work. If the pipes and cylinder are insulated properly as in loads of armaflex then it would be a good system. Better than waiting 10 minutes for hot low pressure water in any case.

I understand your suggestion which i like , BUT would the circulating pump when off allow water to pass through it when the shower pump is sucking through it , or would it draw from the initial feed?

Have i answered my own question.

Also , is its basic electrics to wire it up to work in this way?

Thanks for all of your advice guys.

I think what im going to do is fit a twin impeller show pump to speed the flow up and leave it at that . Ill run a return pipe through the roof space just in case it annoys me having to wait for hot water.

Cheers :D

The circulating pump wont stop water passing through it when its off and it wont cause any harm if it feeds the taps etc from both supplies.

We have a bronze secondary circulation pump on an unvented cylinder and runs close to 100'. Nearly instant hot water at furthest taps. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back