Supply to basin in downstairs loo is fed by cold water only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a single storey extention built for a downstairs loo for my mum. At the time the only reqirement was a cold water feed to the toilet itself (as it's only a passageway away from the kitchen sink).
I want to rent out the house now and I understand that a basin is required (ok i get that).
However, will a basin with a cold tap only meet the regs?

Sponsored Links
If you have a main bathroom that has a full supply then that covers the standard housing requirement.

A basin in an additional downstairs toilet is not an absolute requirement but will the proposed tenant be happy about it, that's another question. Putting in an alcohol gel holder may be a way round it.

If you have a main bathroom that has a full supply then that covers the standard housing requirement.

A basin in an additional downstairs toilet is not an absolute requirement but will the proposed tenant be happy about it, that's another question. Putting in an alcohol gel holder may be a way round it.

That's not correct.

G3
There must be a suitable installation for the provision of heated wholesome water or heated softened wholesome water to:
(A) any washbasin or bidet provided in or adjacent to a room containing a sanitary convenience;

Sponsored Links
That's not correct.

G3
There must be a suitable installation for the provision of heated wholesome water or heated softened wholesome water to:
(A) any washbasin or bidet provided in or adjacent to a room containing a sanitary convenience;

This isn't the primary bathroom, nor does it have a basin or bidet currently installed?? All it has is a toilet. My suggestion, and in reference to the regs, wasn't suggesting putting in a basin, rather adding a holder for a sanitary gel to use after the toilet.

Certainly If the OP put a basin in then yes it requires both as per the regs.

Any "sanitary convenience" must have a wash basin in the same room or adjacent (adjecent applies to for example public toilet)

If there's a toilet there it must have a wash basin

Yup, OK, I need to update myself with the water regs again before suggesting. Haven't had to use them in long enough, my bad! That being said, how many have I seen without proper access to a basin .... hmmmm. Still not right though, especially if renting.

One of these would really solve my space problem (and water efficiency) and it says it has a cold feed only.
Currently out of stock but I am seriously considering.
http://www.diy.com/departments/cook...ated-basin-with-soft-close-seat/808507_BQ.prd
At the end of the day all you need it for is to wash your hands and I am providing a facility to do this.

I questioned these recently on a water regulations course and I think you'll find the reason that they are no longer available is because they don't meet our water regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back