Electric Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The light from the kitchen extractor has blow up. And it seems that the kitchen extractor does not work anymore.
I checked and change the fuse at the plug and still the same.
I checked the electrical box and saw that one of the - let's call it - "Plug" had his bit out.
I am able to push it back on - but that does not change anything for the extractor....
Maybe the fuse inside need to be change.... or what does that means when the red bit comes out?

When undoing it, the screw was pretty tough and did not want to push further without getting any thoughts.

By the way, Is that electrical box quite old? Should I get something more recent?

See image from file named: "electrical board flat"

Cheers,
Jeremy

Sponsored Links
What are you trying to unscrew?

That is a circuit breaker. It does not contain a fuse.

If the larger button pushes in and stays in then it's reset. That's all there is to them.

Sponsored Links
I checked the electrical box and saw that one of the - let's call it - "Plug" had his bit out.
It's a circuit breaker, and if the large button has popped out it has tripped. As RF said, it should push in to reset.

I am able to push it back on - but that does not change anything for the extractor....
Then maybe the hood is broken. You say it's plugged in - do you know for sure that the fuse in the plug is OK, and if you try the socket with something else, does it work?

When undoing it, the screw was pretty tough and did not want to push further without getting any thoughts.
If you've been trying to unscrew that button you might have broken the thing.

By the way, Is that electrical box quite old?
Yes, but there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it.

Should I get something more recent?
The biggest issue is the lack of an RCD, so ideally it should be replaced, but that might lead to some rewiring being needed.

Have you bought the flat, or are you renting it? If you're a tenant you can't just do things to the electrics.

@ RF Lighting
I guess I thought that the Circuit breaker could have been a fuse for the electric panel....

yeap I was trying to unsrew the circuit breaker....I am glad I did not push further that way... Call be novice!!!

I have learned something now.

@ ban-all-sheds
Thanks for your comment.
greatly appreciated too.

Sadly, I am unable to check the hood with another plug as the type of plug used is one that you can not unplugged. I did switch fuse, and that did not change anything.

I guess you could be right and the hood had it... I just wanted to double check just in case as I could have easily instructed someone to change it, without checking basics!!!

Yeap I read about RCD which can protect you life.... especially that I do love my kitchen gadget when cooking or doing food prep.

I guess Having an electrician to come around will be useful to get quote and potentially get the full electric tested I guess, which could lead with the need of rewire....:( but best to be safe I guess.

Yeap flat is owned.

Thanks both for your thoughts.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Sadly, I am unable to check the hood with another plug as the type of plug used is one that you can not unplugged.
Then it's not a plug.

uk%203%20pin%20plugjpg.jpg

I did switch fuse, and that did not change anything.
Well, if you're sure that the fuse was a good one, then the hood is probably faulty - might be repairable, might not.

There remains the possibility that for some reason the supply is not reaching the FCU for the hood

CM2365.JPG
CM2368.JPG

I guess Having an electrician to come around will be useful to get quote and potentially get the full electric tested I guess, which could lead with the need of rewire....:( but best to be safe I guess.
blank_65x10_T.gif
plus_one.gif

Thanks Ismii raif
Yes it is like the FCU picture you show in your post.
Will let the electrician sorting it I guess.

One last question - you mentioned that the unit look fine despite the lack of RCD.
How is important the RCD? is that mandatory? much better for safety? or just because of regulation.
Been chatting around and hearing mix versions.

Cheers,
Jeremy

How is important the RCD?
Fairly.

is that mandatory?
It's not mandatory to have one added. But under the current Wiring Regulations if you want any sockets added, or need to install any new cables buried in the walls then one is required. Strictly speaking it is not mandatory to comply with the Wiring Regulations, but in practice it's virtually impossible to get anything done unless you do.

much better for safety?
Yes.

Many thanks.
First electrician have been in, will get an other two to compare quotes.
Thanks so much for your advice.

First quote has arrived and just thought I will check the web are I guess there must be a number of different unit that can be fixed or provided.

At the same time, I was wondering about what I should be careful of when I get quoted from electrician:

Are all consummer unit the same?
some are 10 way or 12... 12 way
dual rcd board with x2 RCBO: what would be RCBO?

What is the Water and gas bonded? is that mandatory? Can that become extra within the quote?

See detail below of first quote:
Change distribution board to an RCBO system
Test and certificate
Labour £200.00
Materials £350.00
Total £550.00
Please note that any additions to the above (extras) will need to be agreed and
charged separately.[/b]

Cheers thanks,

PS I am based in East Sussex - Eastbourne in case the price could be different from areas or big town / smaller town

At the moment there are big changes about to come in over the type of consumer units that can be fitted. The change comes in June before that the old units can still be used.

So at the moment consumer units to old standard are cheap but to new standard hard to get.

So you have two things to consider.
1 twin RCD or all RCBO I would go for latter.
2 plastic or amendment 3 compliant metal.

After the new amendment comes in any EICR will pick up on being plastic but there will be no requirement to change. So if you intend to use as a stepping stone may be better to new amendment but if your settled and going to likely be in flat for 10 years then better to get it done quick and take advantage of cheap units.

At the moment there are big changes about to come in over the type of consumer units that can be fitted. The change comes in June before that the old units can still be used.
1st January 2016, actually. And, for the sake of accuracy ... all the other changes in Amendment 3 come into force on 1st July 2015, not June.

Kind Regards, John

I've been meaning to ask as it seems to have defeated Google.

Could you tell us what it means please Bas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back