Electrics in kitchen cut out if I use more than 3 appliances

If absolutely everything is disconnected with Live and Neutral disconnected and then switching the electric fire on causes the RCD to trip then the fault is 99% sure to be a Neutral to Earh fault in the wiring. As mentioned switching off an MCB does NOT isolate the Neutral on that circuit.

One fault often over looked is a damaged or saturated outside light with a Neutral - Earth fault.

It would be quicker to get an electrician to do the insulation tests

Sponsored Links
I would say it was a waste of time and effort pulling all those large appliances out to unplug them when presumably there are double pole switches that would have isolated each appliance sufficiently to eliminate where the fault may be.

Still never mind.

Just reporting back that I brought in an electrician who confirmed that there was an earth fault with the underfloor heating which he disconnected at the consumer unit. I can now use as many appliances as I want without fear of tripping. Thanks to everyone in this thead for helping me to help the electrician narrow down the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back