Legislation & kitchen appliance electrical outlets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An electrician has stated, that since the Grenfell Tower Fire, a new legislation has come into force which requires the Washing Machine and Fridge Freezer outlets in the kitchen to have a separate on/off switch, located elsewhere & easily accessible.

Currently, both electrical outlets are at the rear of each appliance and don’t even have on/off switches on the outlets.

Although it’s wise and make sense, is it actually a legislation that requires the current layout be amended ?

I’ve known for some time that New Builds from maybe the late 80s have appliance isolation switches fitted above the kitchen worktops, which I assume is legislation but I’ve never heard of any legislation which require home owners to add isolation switches to existing appliance sockets, especially since the Grenfell fire ?

Sponsored Links
I suggest you ask him what legislation requires that, normally the best way to get rid of folk coming out with strange requirements - send them off to find a reference.

The plug and socket is suitable for isolation, one could argue that you should also have a means of emergency switching, though the consumer unit main switch will provide that. I Personally feel that isolation switches above the countertop are a good idea, however its not a requirement to fit them, not in the late 80's and not now, and certainly there is not a retrosective need to upgrade existing installation

What is the legacy of the grenfell disaster is that there is a bit of a knee jerk rection to it all "look what happened there, we must do x, y and z to make sure nothing remotely similar can occur" its undoubtly well meaning, but does end up being stretched to silly proportions sometimes.

That said, as it seems some multinationals don't seem to give a flying **** about the safety of their whitegoods, I'd try and ensure that you have a means of emergency switching available, if the fuseboard is easily accessible, then this is covered, just advise everyone in the house how to switch off the main switch

is it actually a legislation that requires the current layout be amended ?
No.
Nothing for new installations either.

I’ve known for some time that New Builds from maybe the late 80s have appliance isolation switches fitted above the kitchen worktops, which I assume is legislation
It isn't.

Some house builders may like to install them and organisations such as the NHBC have specifications for such things but none of it is required and never was.

Adam_151...... thanks for such a thorough reply.

The electrician was there for an unrelated issue and he mentioned the outlets lack of isolation switch a few times, eventually insisting it was legislation; he only claimed it was a new legislation due to Grenfell when I said I’d never heard of it.

The current layout has been as it is for at least 30 years and the consumers unit is under the stairs, away from the kitchen and each trip switch clearly states which circuit it isolates, as well as a huge red isolation switch for the entire supply.

I guess the electrician was attempting to use scare tactics to gain more work.

Sponsored Links
There might be some things by which an electrician is legally bound when carrying out work for a customer -

but is there, or has there ever been, anything that a home owner is legally compelled to do to their electrical installation because of new legislation?

The electricians suggestion is probably sound advice and it’s probably preferable to switch off the outlet of an appliance such as a washing machine when it’s not in use, rather than switch off the supply from the cupboard under the stairs.

My concern was the electrician implying it was a new legislation, especially since Grenfell; which, yeah; he may be genuinely mistaken his self.

Our house was rewired before we bought it and it has sockets under the counter with switches above.

I can imagine it's a good idea with all these self igniting washing machines!.

Yeah, I agree; it’s probably a good idea especially due to the recent spate of appliance fires but according to the responses received, it’s not actually a legislation, whether new or otherwise.

Yes, add switches directly above the appliance that is on fire - as if your going to stand over it to turn it off ????

It’s the ability to switch the outlet off when not in use, especially a washing machine, dryer or dishwashers or if a fault is suspected prior to an appliance smoking or bursting into flames.

However it seems that the case was that the appliance was actually in use, which I would have thought is often the case - that starts the fire.
Surely a better wiring layout could be achieved that places isolation switches elsewhere?

Personally, if I'm wiring a kitchen, not only now, but probably for the last twenty years or so, I just wouldn't even consider it acceptable to put sockets behind appliances where they can't be reached for isolation purposes. Or alternatively, a separate isolator in a convenient location.

If the house is going to be vacant for a long period, it really is prudent to go around switching appliances off that aren't going to be in use ... like all of them. Putting the breaker off at the CU may not be a good idea for numerous reasons.

If you read the small print in your insurance policy, it's likely to be mentioned.

Personally, if I'm wiring a kitchen, not only now, but probably for the last twenty years or so, I just wouldn't even consider it acceptable to put sockets behind appliances where they can't be reached for isolation purposes. Or alternatively, a separate isolator in a convenient location.
I presume that you are talking about 'emergency switching', rather than 'isolation', in which case I essentially agree. Of course, neither 'nearby' isolators or emergency switches (for domestic appliances) are actually 'required' by regs but, as I always say, if one chooses to have them, then whilst they probably should be 'fairly close' to the appliance, they should not be 'too close' - and certainly not in such a place that one would have to lean over the (possibly 'on fire') appliance to get at it!
If the house is going to be vacant for a long period, it really is prudent to go around switching appliances off that aren't going to be in use ... like all of them.
It obviously does no harm, so is a reasonable course for very cautious people, although the chances of a not-in-use appliance coming to any harm (e.g. fire) because it is still connected to power must be incredibly small.

Mind you, it's perhaps not totally logical that a person who 'switches off everything' when the house is going to be 'vacant for a long period' (when the worst outcome is for the house 'to go up in flames') probably does not usually do the same every day when they go to bed (when the risk is that they, as well as the house, might 'go up in flames')!!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back