Kitchen integrated appliance switching isolation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, apologies if this is covered elsewhere but a search didnt find much.

Currently designing layout of my kitchen, plan to have integrated fridge and freezer on one tall cabinet. Due to space there isn't anywhere just next to to cabinet above the worktop to mount a switch to isolate the sockets for the appliances.

Is there any reason why I can't either :-

Mount it inside an adjacent cabinet but this may be the sink one

Or mount ontop of the cabinet ? Not that accessible but still accessible.

Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
Really ? I understood that all integrated appliances should be connected via either a socket or a switched fuse connection that Is accessible ? Page 179 of the on site guide.

Sponsored Links
Even though it is only a guideline, Still handy to be able to isolate the F/F without having to rip it out of the cabinet or prise kicker boards off to unplug!

I always fit accessible switches for integrated appliances. You'll probably never need them, but if you do, they're a god send.

The sparker on our gas cooker got stuck permanently on. A simple click of the isolator and it was stopped ready for the gas man to fix it without having to try and pull the cooker out or turn the whole kitchen circuit off in a panic. It also meant we could continue using the cooker in the mean time.

They're also really handy if you've got children or animals who like to press buttons on appliances and start them going.

If you ever need to defrost the freezer, a handy switch again is a real bonus.

But that would switch off the entire kitchen, possibly every socket in the entire house. Not very convenient for just wanting the fridge switched off. :rolleyes:

No one has said it's not a good idea.

However, the OP is having difficulty finding a location for one so, rather than have to mess around positioning it in or on top of a unit, as it is not a requirement, it can be omitted.

I'm not disputing that, but I think there may come a day when he'll regret omitting it!

But that would switch off the entire kitchen, possibly every socket in the entire house. Not very convenient for just wanting the fridge switched off. :rolleyes:
That would not happen, or be in any way inconvenient, if the sensible design of a dedicated F/F circuit (preferably non-RCD protected, but failing that at least on its own unshared RCBO) were to be implemented.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back