ELECTRIC CABLES /WATER PIPE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF BY LAW YOU CAN RUN WATER PIPES ALONGSIDE ELECTRIC CABLES.

I HAVE GOT WATER PIPES IN MY CELLER THEY ARE COPPER PIPES HOT/COLD WATER PIPES.BOXED IN ON THE WALL.
I WANT TO RUN A ELECTRIC CABLE ALONG SIDE THIS.
WHAT IS THE LAW?

Sponsored Links
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF BY LAW YOU CAN RUN WATER PIPES ALONGSIDE ELECTRIC CABLES.
No.

I HAVE GOT WATER PIPES IN MY CELLER THEY ARE COPPER PIPES HOT/COLD WATER PIPES.BOXED IN ON THE WALL.
I WANT TO RUN A ELECTRIC CABLE ALONG SIDE THIS.
WHAT IS THE LAW?
The law says that if water pipes and electricity cables are within 10m of each other the cables must be protected by a jacket hand-woven from alpaca wool and coloured orange.

(PS - stop shouting at people and you might get better answers).

Sponsored Links
The law says that if water pipes and electricity cables are within 10m of each other the cables must be protected by a jacket hand-woven from alpaca wool and coloured orange.
10 metres seems a bit excessive though

On the assumption that the basement has some aesthetic considerations (due to boxing in pipework) could you not use a suitable sized PVC trunking system and contain the cables that way?

I assume that is actually 10cm, not 10m??

If the pipes are only cold (eg mains feed in to the house), I assume this is OK and doesn't need any special protection.

No, he definitely said 10 meters :D
But my concern is what the OP is keeping in the cellar that requires water and now electricity :eek:

cellar3.jpg

I'm sure the OP wouldn't be worrying about the law on cables/pipes if he had a interest in indoor horticulture :LOL: - more likely to hear "is it possible to bypass the electric meter if I wanted to - even though I dont..." :LOL:

Incidentally in my cellar I have heating pipes running around 10 cm of the fuse box...is that bad?

Bongos- If the pipe are above the CU and leak...........

:rolleyes:

my celler are living rooms. at some stage i will be running central heating cables and also electric cable . along side a wall.

all i want to know what is the legal requirements . the electric cable are only for the smoke alarms that i forgot to put in before .
i rather run everthing on one wall the water cables hot and cold also the electric cables and box everthing in.

please can someone advise me on the legal requirements

please can someone advise me on the legal requirements

Complying with Building Regulations Approved Document P, electricians know loads about it. (generally)

Whats all this talk of central heating & water cables? I saw some coax running down from an aerial that was 'leaking' once, but it was hardly potable water :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back