Cables along side pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently had a new central heating system put in and I have noticed the plumber has laid the pipes along side the electric cables. (The top of the joists are cut out to make a path).

I am presuming this was how the old pipework/ cables were arranged.

Point being, is this correct, running electrical cable along side a heating pipe that will be hot in Winter when the heating is on?

Sponsored Links
This is not correct... but it is entirely in keeping with standard plumbing practice.

Mind you, the the cables were probably run alongside the old heating pipes when it was last rewired... the cables shouldn't have been in notches in the first place.

Can I take it all your floorboards are now merely long bundles of splinters?

But don't worry unduly; practically every house in the country has such a multiple-bodge of wiring and plumbing. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can vouch for that, I've just fitted smoke alarms, existing pipes and wires right alongside each other.
And I've just had an extension built, with brand new pipes and wires running alongside each other and crossing over each other.
I have got the builder from Hell however.

Sponsored Links
Yep, floorboards are a mess. Was thinking of re-routing the wiring but as you suggest that this is not uncommon in the real world, think I will just try and keep cables and wires apart as much as possible.

I had the plumber from hell, but thats another story... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back