plastic heating pipes and cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there are some cables that run through drilled holes in the joist near the top. I am wanting to run some heating pipes below them clipped to side of the joist at the bottom of the joist, so the heating pipes will only be below them for the width of the cables and inch or 2. The heating pipes will be plastic and I was looking at putting some thick lagging on them were they pass underneath the cables. Is this ok?

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Its a lot of cables that will be above them a bunch of about 2iches but like said only for a very short distance as the heating pipes cross below them.

Sponsored Links
thanks yes I was looking at putting thick insulation on the plastic heating pipes and after this there'll be a gap of about 2.5 inches above this till the pipes cross underneath the cables.

Lagging the pipe will help prevent any heat loss that could effect the cables.
Ideally hot water and central heating pipes are best placed above cables. But as you already have cables in place that would be impracticable.

Lagging the pipe will help prevent any heat loss that could effect the cables.
Ideally hot water and central heating pipes are best placed above cables. But as you already have cables in place that would be impracticable.

Thanks for the reply yes the cables are drilled through near the top of the joist, there's a lot of cables about a 2inch bunch of them. does my situation sound ok to you too? Thanks I was just concerned.

What you are doing to prevent heat loss effecting the cables is a wise choice.
I would be concerned about the positioning of your existing cables though, if holes within the joist are less than 50mm from the top of the joist and no mechanical protection has been give to the cables.
It's common problem in installations of a certain age.

I would be concerned about the positioning of your existing cables though, if holes within the joist are less than 50mm from the top of the joist and no mechanical protection has been give to the cables. It's common problem in installations of a certain age.
That's all technically true and, as you say, is probably still the situation in millions of homes (notched joists probably being more common than those with 'high holes'). If one really wants to do something about it (and most haven't), unless there is some other reason for extenstive re-wring (and, even then, there will be some issues to be addressed), I would think that the only practical solution is to install 'protection plates' across the tops of the joists.

Kind Regards, John

I was also thinking of putting a wood batten between the joist hold the cables up and to stop them ever sagging on to the pipes. There's actualy an air gap of 4 inch between the pipes and the cables.

If the cables were to sag four inches across the void ebtween two joists, touching your hot pipes would be the least of anyone's worries!!!

PJ

I was also thinking of putting a wood batten between the joist hold the cables up and to stop them ever sagging on to the pipes. There's actualy an air gap of 4 inch between the pipes and the cables.

Cables should always be well supported and fixed, so I think what you intend to do, is a logic process and an additional measure against any influences the pipes could have on the cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back