Electric cabling in thatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Recently bought a thatched cottage. It has a current electrical certificate, 10 year validity, valid until 2022. There is an observation on the certificate about cabling in the loft. This was before the days when the cat 1, 2 & 3 was introduced. My insurer is ok with this, but I want to improve the situation anyway.
There is a lot of cabling in the loft, serving lights and a shower, all covered by the certificate. Yes, there has been or is, rodents up there.
So, can anyone advise ?: Obviously any work I do myself is going to have to be certified. Would it be acceptable for me to use plastic trunking, installed myself, or would an electrician require something more sophisticated, say bonded metal trunking, in order to grant a certificate ?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Cabling should be avoided in a loft under a thatched roof. If there has to be cabling it should be rodent proof in metallic ducting. Some insurers will not accept any cables in the loft, others will accept cables and of these some will insist that all connections ( junction boxes, fittings etc ) are below ceiling level.

Check with your insurance company exactly what cover they are providing and what they will not cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back