10mm Cable for Electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all.

I am looking to install a 9.5kw electric shower in one of the bedrooms I will be running a separate 30m, 10mm twin and earth cable from the circuit board to the shower. The cable will run the majority of the way through the loft and a cavity wall, however there will be a 9 to 10 foot section that i will have to run inside a cupboard on the outside of the plaster. If I was to encase the cable in plastic trunking for that 9 to 10 section, would this be acceptable for the electrician to pass it? Also, I am just looking to tack the cable to the top of the joists in the corner of the loft, will this also be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I am looking to install a 9.5kw electric shower in one of the bedrooms I will be running a separate 30m, 10mm twin and earth cable from the circuit board to the shower. The cable will run the majority of the way through the loft and a cavity wall, however there will be a 9 to 10 foot section that i will have to run inside a cupboard on the outside of the plaster. If I was to encase the cable in plastic trunking for that 9 to 10 section, would this be acceptable for the electrician to pass it?
Probably, but you must contact a registered electrician before you start to confirm that he is agreeable to the methods and so that you do the work as he requires.
It's no good you doing everything and then contacting an electrician.

Also, I am just looking to tack the cable to the top of the joists in the corner of the loft, will this also be acceptable?
Yes, keep it away from thermal insulation.

Gravity feed, but water pressure and flow is terrible so we need to install an electric one with a water tank supply

Sponsored Links
Gravity feed, but water pressure and flow is terrible
Pump ?

so we need to install an electric one with a water tank supply
I think you are a bit confused.

Electric showers (normal meaning) are supplied by mains cold only.

If supplied by gravity hot and cold from tanks

you can either get an 'electric shower' with integral pump (power shower) but it does not heat the water or -

separate external pump to normal mixer tap and rose.

Ok full set up will be a cold water tank and single propeller pump (due to the fact we only get 6l / min in the bedroom). Into a standard electric shower which will beat the water. 10mm Cablw will power the shower, set up is pretty simple and standard, so not to confusing.

Yes, but if you are having a (normal meaning) electric shower (9.5kW) it should be connected to the mains water supply.

A power shower or external pump only require a small electrical supply and can be connected to any existing circuit.

Yes the plumber and I have looked at that but due to the water flow it's not going to get the feed volume it needs. So to avoid it being starved of cold water further when another gap is opened at the same time we are going with a seperate water supply and booster pump. The pump will run of a standard 240 v plug circuit the shower will need its seperate supply from circuit board. So I was asking how best to run the cable through the space we have available.

Kitchen isnt much better im afraid - 7 litres per minute

I was hoping to use a triton t300si shower.

Afternoon all.

I am looking to install a 9.5kw electric shower in one of the bedrooms I will be running a separate 30m, 10mm twin and earth cable from the circuit board to the shower. The cable will run the majority of the way through the loft and a cavity wall, however there will be a 9 to 10 foot section that i will have to run inside a cupboard on the outside of the plaster. If I was to encase the cable in plastic trunking for that 9 to 10 section, would this be acceptable for the electrician to pass it? Also, I am just looking to tack the cable to the top of the joists in the corner of the loft, will this also be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean you are running the cable in the cavity between the two leaves of brickwork? Not good practice if so.

Yes the plumber and I have looked at that but due to the water flow it's not going to get the feed volume it needs. So to avoid it being starved of cold water further when another gap is opened at the same time we are going with a seperate water supply and booster pump. The pump will run of a standard 240 v plug circuit the shower will need its seperate supply from circuit board. So I was asking how best to run the cable through the space we have available.

Be aware that shower pumps can be noisy. If its above a bedroom, so anti vibration mountings would be worthwhile.

I was hoping to use a triton t300si shower.

You need to think again.

The Triton t300si ( and all of the 'instant' electric showers) are only suitable for connection to the cold water mains supply.
If you care to look at the Triton specification, it says the water supply minimum pressure is
  • 1 Bar @ 8 l/min for the 9.5KW shower
and
  • Plumbing System
    Cold Mains

I am an electrician, not a plumber, but even I can see it isn't going to work!
Get yourself a plumber who knows what he is talking about.
AS above, if your hot and cold water supply is gravity fed vented system then you do not need a 9.5KW shower, you just need a dual port pump to feed a mixer shower.

Something like this will sort you out
http://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/products/monsoon/u30-bar-twin/

You wont need a new circuit all the way to the consumer unit, either. Just connect supply from ring final circuit, or the supply for the immersion heater

FYI, I emailed Triton to get their thoughts on the rig up after all the comments. This is their response.

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

Potentially there is no problem with the arrangement you have suggested.

The key point is to ensure that the pump chosen is capable of delivering the minimum flow and pressure to the T300si Shower unit. You would also need to ensure that you have the minimum site conditions for the pump with regards to the min head and storage capacity.

I hope that this information is of help.

With regards the noise, I will look to encase the unit the best i can with rockwool and an antivibration matt to make sure noise is kept to a minimum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back