Electric car , supply installation .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Friend had an external connection installed for his electric car.
His double oven failed same day , could there be a connection or just a coincidence.?
Can’t think of anyone than would affect house appliances .

Sponsored Links
coincidence

sometimes, a new device with a loose connection might cause flickering voltage changes that might upset some electronics.

I can't see any reason why that would affect a cooker.

I once had a new circuit installed, and the electrician accidentally undid the terminal screw on the MCB next to his new one (which looked the same) resulting in my immersion heater having a high-resistance connection and stopped working.

That took a bit of tracking down, because such an unexpected fault.

but I expect the car circuit will be on a new mini-MCB

quite right. very common cause of ovens not working.

Sponsored Links
If its control circuitry rather than say an element thats failed in the oven (assuming its not just the clock needing setting) its possible it was already on the verge of failure and the power being switched off/on whilst work was done was enough to push it over the edge. Quite common for electronics to die during power cycling.

I remember my father-in-law having solar panels for domestic hot water fitted, they removed the immersion heater when they fitted them, and he said how good they were.

However it seems they had used the immersion heater supply which my father-in-law turned off in the kitchen, so solar panels did nothing, the central heating was heating his water.

When finding a supply it is so easy to assume some thing not used, or unlikely to be switched off, it is very possible if a dedicated supply to cooker that an installer may think it is unused.

We tend to think of EV charging being a massive 100 amp supply, but could be a simple 16A supply, and oven also likely a 16A supply.

I would turn off oven at consumer unit, and see if car still charges.

I remember my father-in-law having solar panels for domestic hot water fitted, they removed the immersion heater when they fitted them, and he said how good they were.

However it seems they had used the immersion heater supply which my father-in-law turned off in the kitchen, so solar panels did nothing, the central heating was heating his water.

When finding a supply it is so easy to assume some thing not used, or unlikely to be switched off, it is very possible if a dedicated supply to cooker that an installer may think it is unused.

We tend to think of EV charging being a massive 100 amp supply, but could be a simple 16A supply, and oven also likely a 16A supply.

I would turn off oven at consumer unit, and see if car still charges.
Thanks , they did not touch original consumer unit .

I do have a copy of the flipper manual but can't see how that would help, I have had the same fault with my mother, they decided she needed a new kitchen, and it was fitted including a new oven, which included new legend due to poor eye sight, and a woman to show her how to use the new oven.

It transpired the instructor told my mother to turn off cooker at the wall once finished so as soon as that happened the cooker now would not work as clock not set and also more important it would over heat the cupboard as all cooling fans would be turned off.

This was the instructions from a council instructor who's job it was to know how ovens work, I had a hard job trying to get my mother not to turn the oven off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back