Electric car charging?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm looking at getting a hybrid electrical car which will require an electrical charging connection outside.

Can anyone advise what type of connectors are needed so I can ask my electrician for the right bits to be installed? Are they all the same no matter the make of car?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your electrician should be telling you ..... He's the expert. What power consumption is the charger?

My understanding is there can be 3 types...13A, 16A and 32A. 13A and 16A can be made avilable at home and 32A being the fast chargers available at motorway service station and the like.

What I would like to know is what type of socket do I ask for? Presumably the socket is a specific type.

If my leccy has no previous experience in this area how does he know what to fit? (And no I don't expect him just to go to the wholesaler and believe what the counter-monkey says!!)

There are books to guide the electrician as to what to install. It is not as simple of needs a special type of wandering socket there is also the earthing arrangements which vary according to distance from house and other earthed items outside.

Not only are there different current but also different voltages. If you look at some of the cars at 16A 230V single phase it would take 24 hours to charge in the main we want it to recharge in 8 hours so the requirements vary car to car. Most will charge from 13A supply but that's OK for top up but not on main charger. With charging stations three phase 32A supply would be more standard could even be more.

I would not even start the job without buying the book. I would hope no one else would either.

Sponsored Links
Hi I'm looking at getting a hybrid electrical car which will require an electrical charging connection outside.

Can anyone advise what type of connectors are needed so I can ask my electrician for the right bits to be installed? Are they all the same no matter the make of car?

Thanks.

There are several different types. Here's one:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_62196_Typ_2

As you can see it's a 3 phase connector with additional control lines to detect presence of the car.

I've heard of government incentives where you can get a charging point installed at home at low cost or even foc. Your vehicle dealer might have more info. I doubt if your electrician could install it and get the government incentives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back