Electric certificate

I'll help the OP out when they post up some photos by giving my opinion on the workmanship!

Sponsored Links
he told me that he was saving up in order to start an electrician's course maybe next year.

So he's picked up a bit of knowledge along the way from old joe who did the electrics for the boss before.

Boss. "Tony, can you do electrics?"

Tony. "Err, yeah I know a bit."

Boss. "OK, you're the spark for this one."

Tony, (thinking), Christ, what have I let myself in for? I know, I use a bit of this cable for doing the plug things, a bit of that one for the light, one of them fuse box things from B&Q with a couple of push button whatsits inside. Sorted! If its wrong the bloke from the council will tell me how to put it right. Nothing to this sparky malarky!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ta so far.

Recommendations for the builder came from my own observation of their work in the local area - they have plenty of small build jobs on, and it seems ok plus customers I spoke to were happy.

So, pictures:
The CU inside the log cabin (awaiting RCD)

The cable feeding this CU (exterior to building) - 6mm TE enclosed in corrugated trunking (not too happy about use of pipe clips, but I can live with it until I get the proper stuff)

The bottom of the isolator adjacent to the main house CU - supply and load both 6mm TE
(this is connected up to the live/neutral/earth within the CU)

"Proof" of competence
although I'm a bit confused as to how they can be NECEIaddyoh approved if none of them are actually qualified :confused: Makes me wonder about the other certificates on there (although we'll let the Corgi badge instead of Gassafe pass due to the age of the sign)

Sponsored Links
If they are not NICEIC approved (check their site) and they are advertising as such then they are committing fraud.

What make is the CU? I can see hager MCBs but no RCD at all. Poor attempt at blanking the spare hole!
I don't like the sight of flex conduit outdoors, although it does offer some additional protection.
How is the switch fuse connected up?

If they are not NICEIC approved (check their site) and they are advertising as such then they are committing fraud.

What make is the CU? I can see hager MCBs but no RCD at all. Poor attempt at blanking the spare hole!
I don't like the sight of flex conduit outdoors, although it does offer some additional protection.
How is the switch fuse connected up?

CU in cabin is Crabtree - they haven't blanked the spare hole as we are awaiting it's completion with an RCD.

As far as I can tell, the fuse connection (a 40A cartridge in a 70A holder) is connected by a 6mm cable entering the main house CU, which I guess is then paired up with the incoming tails from the main fuse. Could open it up, but it's a bit late. Anyway, I have my own electrician coming to connect up a ring circuit he is designing and is letting me cable monkey for him (all runs will be visible for him to inspect, but this is another story unrelated to this) and Im sure he will remedy any dodgy goings on at this end, if there are any.

Just 1 RCD?
If it's a Crabtree CU why Hager MCBs?
Don't forget we like photos!

Just 1 RCD?
If it's a Crabtree CU why Hager MCBs?
Don't forget we like photos!
I will ask him about the MCB's

The CU in the cabin is there to connect a ring and a couple of lights for the cabin, which my spark will do as I've been advised that it requires a special sort of fire cable in a flammable building, plus a light and a socket for the adjacent garage.

Should this be a split load 17th ed board?

Not necesserilly a dual RCD board - it depends on wiring type as to what type of protection you need. It might be a fully loaded RCBO board is better, but a lot more expensive.
Is your spark talking of Pyrotenax? A plastic CU will be awful to connect that sort of stuff into anyway.

Not necesserilly a dual RCD board - it depends on wiring type as to what type of protection you need. It might be a fully loaded RCBO board is better, but a lot more expensive.
Is your spark talking of Pyrotenax? A plastic CU will be awful to connect that sort of stuff into anyway.

Got the info about pyrotenax from this forum. Am not going to get my spark round to do this until I know the wiring to the current CU is ok.

Curiously, I can't find the contractors on the NICEIC, the FENSA nor the CORGI/GASSAFE registers (should have suspected the last one as there's no number on the badge :oops: - luckily they're not doing any gas work). Out if interest, I see that they aren't claiming to have an NICEIC "Domestic Installation" badge, which is funny as their work is domestic.

I can see an interesting conversation coming up in the not too distant future methinks :confused:

In the meantime, is it safe to assume that the BCO will check the work that has been done, belatedly (obviously) and within this perform the necessary checks on the cabling?

To be able to do the very basics of this he should have been on a course at some time and have some qualifications, not rely on a stranger inspecting and testing his work.

and who's to say he didn't work for his dad as a mate for 20 years and knows more than the 20year old fresh out of college..
a qualification is just a piece of paper.. there is no need to have formal training if you "picked it up on the job" as you worked as a mate..

I think that only 1 person in a company has to be NICEIC registered to claim it as such on the signs...
I worked for a company that was NICEIC and when the bloke that was registered left, they had to stop using the headed test sheets and take the logo off the invoices etc..

that my friend is a **** poor job at the best..

plastic adaptaflex is no use for mechanical protection...
hagar breakers in a crabtree board means it's not type tested, if it burns down your insurance probably won't pay....
and that blank is just stupid.. what's he screwed it to anyway?

To be able to do the very basics of this he should have been on a course at some time and have some qualifications, not rely on a stranger inspecting and testing his work.

and who's to say he didn't work for his dad as a mate for 20 years and knows more than the 20year old fresh out of college..
He's 22 :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: ..and (I've not mentioned this bit before for some reason :oops: ) he's Polish

Am awaiting a response from BAS, who, as harsh as he may sound, does make some valid points (am still brown nosing here) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back