Electric Combi Boilers advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
A bit of background first: I live in a flat, built around 2000, originally came with PowerMax boiler, this was replaced with a combi Glow Worm end of 2012. End of 2015 had a leak from the flue, it was decided that it was due to poor installation, not following manufacturers specs re: flue drop (the boiler is quite far from outside wall, the total length of flue is close to 5m so the drop needed to be quite significant). What seemed to be a serious company replaced the flue, dropped the boiler so that the flue drop was maintained as per specs. Happy days.

Except yesterday boiler packed up (won't ignite), and engineer who just visited said it was due to combustion from the flue going back into boiler. He said it's a problem waiting to happen again, even if the flue is re-done again.
He recommended replacing it with electric combi boiler Elnur. I have to say that I am seriously considering going electric - even though I know running costs will go up. However, the flat is not big, it keeps heat well (we only really need to turn on heating when it's really cold, for about an hour or two in the morning and evening). As long as I don't have to keep a tank of hot water for washing etc., I think it won't be too bad. Just to note, we do like our baths (rarely shower).
Elnur is a brand I've never heard of, and I am a bit worried about going with them - what if another 2-3 years time the boiler breaks down, by then the manufacturer went bust, no replacement parts... I'll be back to square one, having to replace the boiler - AGAIN.
My other concerns / requirements:
- I really, really would love to avoid tank + electric heater combo, due to 2 reasons, one is space (very precious in this tiny apartment), and two, I've gone through this in one of apartments before and the running costs were astronomical - I hope a combi would not be so bad.
- I want to be able to forget I have a boiler for at least next 5 years. If I have to fix or replace a boiler AGAIN I think I'll just go mad (this is a third time in this apartment, and twice before in rented - all in a space of 10 years!)

Any recommendations re: other electric boilers that do not require a massive tank / don't take much space, are reliable, and don't cost a little fortune to run? Any things I should be aware of in terms of how hot the water can get, how electric affects water pressure or anything else?
Any other options I have?

Thanks a lot
Liliana

Sponsored Links
If you enjoy baths then do not install an instantaneous electric water heater.

@aptsys Why is that? In what way will it not behave like the boiler I currently have? Cost? Not able to supply a large amount of water at all? Something else?

It'll be several times slower. Additionally your electricity supply may not be rated accordingly.

If Glowworm state the flue extension kit is suitable then there is no reason not to get the system correctly repaired

Sponsored Links
other electric boilers that do not require a massive tank / don't take much space, are reliable, and don't cost a little fortune to run?
No such thing - electric heating is the most expensive option by far.

If you want instantly heated water from electricity, you can expect a feeble trickle.
An 11 kW heater is about the largest practical option on a single phase supply, and with a temperature rise of 40C will provide about 4 litres/minute, and cost £1.50 per hour to run.
A gas boiler will typically provide at least 3x more flow, and gas is 5x cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back