electric cooker relocation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello this is my first post i hope someone can help

i would like to relocate my electric cooker to the opposite wall as i am adding new units and changin the layout the cooker has its own switch and it own fuse on the consumer unit i cannot re-lay the cable from the consumer unit to the cooker switch

can i extend the cable from the old switch and run it round via the skirting which hides the cables to the adjacent wall the run length will be about 8 mtrs

Sponsored Links
The cooker control switch should be within 2 metres of the appliance.
So sorry the answer is no.
So either the cooker stays where it is or you do some re-routing of the supply cable! :cry:

Why can't you run a new cable?

You can't put any cables behind the skirting unless they are in a safe zone. The joint to the old cable must be accessible for inspection and maintenance or made using one of the permitted methods for concealed joints. The proposed circuit will need tested to ensure it is safe (and i mean with the proper equipment, not turn it on and if nothing bad happens it's ok :rolleyes:)

As you're in England this work will need notified to your LABC before work starts, or it will be illegal.

I would suggest you employ a competent electrician, who will probably be able to do the work, which should last for30+ years, for less than the cost of any new cooker which will probably only last about 5 years.

You could fit a new switch near the cooker, if needed. Replace the existing switch with terminal strip inside a blanking plate.

However your proposed method/location of running the wiring may not be permissible, and your new wiring has to comply with current regulations, so if the existing circuit is non-compliant it needs to be made compliant or a new compliant circuit run back to the CU. We don't know how old or in what state your wiring is.

A skilled worker can do a very neat installation with plastic minitrunking at skirting or cornice level.

Sponsored Links
The wiring I about 5 years old downstairs used to be one room (shop) but was changed to a residential so all the wiring is less than 5 years old

If you are re-doing the walls remove the supply cable from the wall switch and re-route the cable somewhere not too obvious but still accessible where you can join and extend it. At the new switch run a new cable to the cooker.

Fill the hole where the old cables were.

The age of the wiring is immaterial.
Its suitability for the intended purpose is.

Everything you do now has to comply with regulations that post-date the installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back