electric cooker supply switch timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to put some type of control on the power supply to my mothers cooker. she is getting absentminded, and forgets to turn it off.
i stopeed in a hotel where there was a dial on the dryer that cut off the power after thirty minutes. that is what i am afer .
thanks

Sponsored Links
What type of cooker is it, i.e. how much power does it use, as this will affect what is suitable to run it.

Assuming it isn't something that just uses a 13A supply, then you'd probably need to find some sort of timer, and rig it up with a contactor to do the actual switching, since I suspect you'd be hard pushed to find a simple timeswitch that will switch more than 13A...

if it is an Electric cooker, it might be on a 30Amp fuse, which is too much for ordinary domestic timers.

It would be possible to use a Contactor, though, and maybe operate it via the light switch. You can get light switches that turn off after preset periods fairly easily.

Or maybe a PIR, so that it will go off if there is no-one moving in the kitchen for a long time.

Electrical work in a kitchen is Nofiable and should be done by a suitably qualified electrician.

I should think it would need to be very simple and automatic as a forgetful person may have trouble with a manual timer.

edited: too slow! :mad:

p.s. do you think a Combination Microwave Oven might help? AFAIK they all have timers and can not be left on permanently. Mine has grill and fan oven as well as microwave setting

thanks for replys . i had thought of microwave oven but my mother is scared of them.

Sponsored Links
microwaves don't fry either... :)

best to get a new cooker with induction hobs.. they only work if there's a pan on the ring.. and from what I've read, are cold to touch in seconds of removing a pan..

as for the oven, I'm sure you could get one with electronic controlls that work on a timer..

that idea would not work as the timer on the oven would be too complexed , also the pans with touch would still be on, but thanks all the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back