Disconnecting a cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electrical cooker that is connected like this.

Orange switch on wall with word cooker on it.
Electrical cable going from switch to back of cooker.

I wish to throw this cooker out - moving home - new owner does not want.

Is it OK to disconnect it like this:

1 - Switch off switch that says cooker.
2 - Switch off the electrical mains supply.
3 - Cut wire leading into back of cooker
4 - Put insulating tape onto wire I have cut
4 - Switch on electrical main supply.

Sponsored Links
1 & 2 are fine, but after that you should be able to remove the front of the switch (probably two screws are on the faceplate) and then you can disconnect the wire from a terminal block inside the switch.

Unless you are confident of isolating the supply to just the switch, I would flick off the complete house mains supply at the fusebox, but make sure there is no supply to the cooker before you do anything.

Number 2 that I would switch off the main supply.

There is nothing on the front that I can screw off. It seems that I would have to take the whole of the back of the cooker off. With different screws I might add. Do not have the tools for this.

I really am confused over something that seems quite simple to me.

1 - No power coming into house.
2 - Cut wire
3 - Cover wire wher cut with insulating tape.
4 - Switch on poer to house.

Is it really more complex than this???

you shouldn't leave wires hanging just covered with insulating tape (its just about acceptable to do it mid-job but you shouldn't leave things that way).

if your cooker was installed properly the cable from the cooker should go to an outlet plate from which it should be easy to disconnect.

post photos if unsure.

Sponsored Links
It's the front of the switch that you should be able to take off, not the cooker. What you suggest is perfectly feasible, but I personally would choose not to leave a potentially live cable sticking out of the wall, whether taped up or not. In fact you'd be better off leaving the cooker in place, moving, and leaving the new owner to deal with it....

What if I do find a way of disconnecting the cooker from the plate. What way am I suppose to leave the wires - Two posters have said not leave the taped up. In what state should I leave them

jtaunton said:
It's the front of the switch that you should be able to take off, not the cooker.

in a properly done cooker install the cable from the cooker usually goes to an outlet plate not directly to the switch.

If I understand the question correctly, then you don't leave the wire in any state - it should be possible to remove the wire completely, right back to the terminals in either the switch or outlet plate, depending on your installation. If this really makes no sense in the context of what you have in front of you, then a photo would help.

jtaunton said:
If I understand the question correctly, then you don't leave the wire in any state - it should be possible to remove the wire completely, right back to the terminals in either the switch or outlet plate, depending on your installation. If this really makes no sense in the context of what you have in front of you, then a photo would help.

OK - Now I got ya mate. So take the double socket off the wall - it has the orange switch that says cooker and a spare socket for say a kettle. Disconnect the cooker and put socket back on wall and then remove cooker.

Voila - I think the penny has dropped.

double socket? i take it you mean a cooker switch unit? yes.

there are input and output terminals on the back (or "feed/supply" and "load".

remove the cable from the "load" or "output", and remove this (it leads to the cooker).

Then put the switch/socket back on the wall, leave the input cable connected. the socket will work as normal, the cooker switch will do nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back