Electric costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am about to build a three bed Dormer Bungalow And I'm trying to get an idea of the budget for different trades.

I have got 4 different electricians giving me a rough cost from the detail plans that I have.

I have asked for first and second fix and just to supply basic fittings, so I can compare them identically.

One has come back with a cost of £2760, but I have not got any others yet to compare.

I would like to get an idea of what is a realistic cost.

I am based in South Wales.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
its a bit impossible to answer this without a link to your detailed plans.
the realistic cost is whatever your electricians quote you for (average the 3)

I agree, not realistic to provide even a rough estimate without knowing the details.

£2,700 sounds realistic provided it is from a registered electrician who can self certify and can provide at least two good references from local people.

Don't forget that getting an electricity supply to the building will be a completely seperate cost, and will make your electrcian quotes all seem very reasonable.

Sponsored Links
How can I post the plans on here?

It is going to cost an extra few grand to get the supply on as we have to move a main post as well.

All of the electricians can self certify the work.

Thanks.

Take a photo(s) of the plans, then read this

We might be able to give you a rough ball park figure from that.

I have uploaded the image.

I am only looking for a rough estimate as there will be alterations before they start.

Thanks.

I have uploaded the image.

I am only looking for a rough estimate as there will be alterations before they start.

Thanks.

Thanks, we have regularly done work in the area and looking just at the layout of the property the price you have been quoted is VERY competitive.

I am about to build a three bed Dormer Bungalow And I'm trying to get an idea of the budget for different trades.
Your project manager should know.

If he doesn't I would seriously question whether he has the experience to do the job - having a project manager who doesn't know what he's doing is a recipe for disaster.

Your project manager should know.
Depends on the sort of project manager you choose.

You can choose by asking for tenders to build your house according to the architect's specification. You'll get a fixed price and the PM will build at the minimum cost possible within the specification. That's the cheapest way. But you have to specify everything at the outset.

Alternatively, you can get a project/site manager who organises the contractors and some or all materials and charges you on a cost plus basis. That allows for as much personal input as you want, and you can change specification as the build progresses. This allows you to get the quality you want, but you won't know the eventual cost.

I built my present house in 2005/6. Went £100k over budget because I chose the second option. But I have marble floors & bathrooms because I found 5 tonnes of marble cheap on board at Felixtowe. I've got stainless steel & glass stairs instead of the Architect's wooden ones. I've got venetian blinds between the double glazing glass so they never need cleaning, again found after the Architect drew up his spec. And I added a wine cellar because I found some space under one of the floors.

Deuce22 is right to get some idea of costs to help decide what the specification should be. That's not the project manager's job because the project manager isn't paying.

Hi ban-all-sheds and stoday.

I will be project managing it myself, along with a bit of input from my father.

He has been in this profession for around 40 years and I started with him a few years ago.

He has completed 2 self builds in this time, but the last one was 10 years ago, so the costs are going to be a lot different.

Although we have worked out a budget, it is coming to a lot less than what we are being told it should, so I just want to clarify that it is realistic.

We will be doing a few things ourselves (groundwork, studwork, insulation), but major works that need doing will be subd out.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back