Electric fan down heater pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have an electric fan down heater in the bathroom.

Somehow my tenant managed to think he can fix it and screw it up. It looks like one of the contacts has heated and burnt the plastic sleave.

You can see the damage on the contact on the pull switch.
20221005_211506.jpg

My question is, anyone has a guess why the pull switch has damaged abd burnt the contact?

This is the actual switch

20221005_211451.jpg

Sponsored Links
A (long standing) loose connection (created by the action of switching on/off) will increase resistance and create high temperatures that blacken or even melt the metal. A lot of replacement switches available on ebay etc.

Blup

Apparently not that strait forward. I can't seem to find any in the UK, also they seem quite expensive (around £20+). A new fan seems to be between 40 and 60.

Should i just swap it out. I hate things ending up in the tip.

The switch type seems to be a XK2 4 pin.

How do you know it wasn't burnt after it the heater first failed but before the tenant attempted to fix it?

Are you 'one of those' landlords?

Sponsored Links
Call me one of "those" landlords if you like. I know that tenant and her bf, and the damage he caused, also the crap he dismantled and left here. Oh yes not to mention the attempted 30+ fraudulent accounts on mine. Nearly forgot the 9 months of arrears when he realised the government wouldn't allow anyone to be evicted due to covid.

All as a thank you for actually for actually giving them a place to stay when they where desperate and had no where to go as I had the flat empty during covid. All whilst she was claiming being a single parent.

Oh I later found his old landlord. He literally messed about with wiring in switches, every electrical item had been opened and messed with.

Yes I am one of THOSE landlords!!!

In all honesty, I only care how it broke to work out if its safe or cost effective to repair.

P.s. i didn't realise this forum has those judgey people with no knowledge of others background situation and not about actual useful support!

If you cant find a replacement try one of the cheap infrared patio heaters on amazon, they work a treat in bathrooms IME.

Commiserations on the tenants, I found that roughly 1 in 6 tenants were bad, and when they were bad they were evil.

Blup

Looking at the contact again, can you not file it down to bare metal?

Blup

I tried to test it with a multi meter, do you think the red colouring us burn residue not allowing a clean contact?

I'll try this evening

Don't tenancy agreements have clauses in them to say that the tenant will not abuse the accommodation, F about with gas or electrical or plumbing installations etc on pain of eviction?

Yes they do. But given my description of their time here , I think they felt too protected by the government to care.

I only found all the damage after they moved out and I back in

Yes, that is what I was thinking.

Blup
So I remembered I bought a battery powered dremel that hadn't made its maiden use.

You where right. I cleaned up the contact and its all working again.

I also figured out what he may have been trying to do. They broke the pull cord, so decided to take take the heater apart. Loose screws and tamper with the rotary switch.

Now I just have to remember what the numbered rotary switch and the 2 way switch are for lol.

Thanks again all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back