Electric heated towel rails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of getting one of these installed, but can't figure out how they work. What controls the temperature? i.e. what switches it on and off?

Sponsored Links
Built in to the unit, or is a separate thermostatic control needed on the supply to the unit?

I know this all sounds kind of dumb, but I've looked at the things and couldn't see any kind of thermostat (at least which you could adjust) on the unit itself.

Sponsored Links
The dimplex ones don't have a built-in stat. They just come on & off, and the surface temperature is limited by the wattage of the unit, AFAICT.

But you can buy a regulator from dimplex (bit like a dimmer) that you can set so the temperature does not exceed your preset level (the dial is calibrated) for example when installing for the infirm or kids.

securespark said:
The dimplex ones don't have a built-in stat. They just come on & off, and the surface temperature is limited by the wattage of the unit, AFAICT.

I haven't seen any with an on/off switch. I understand the surface temp being limited by the wattage, but what then controls the on/off part?? They surely don't just come on & off randomnly!

If you want it on all the time, connect it to an unswitched FCU.

If you want to be able to turn it on and off, connect it to a switched FCU, or put a suitably rated switch between the FCU and it.

If you want it to go on and off at particular times of day, put a timer between the FCU and it, or use a combined timer/FCU.

Have you ever lived anywhere with an immersion heater?

There are some really fancy ones made by Acova which have a remote controller and it's programmable (and expensive).

Try Vasco or Bisque then... ;)

But seriously - Abacus do a reasonable one with thermostat and timer:

dualfuel.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back