Electric heater siting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning guys. I've been looking for a electric radiator for an alcove in downstairs toilet.

The width of the gap is 430 mm. I've seen a couple that in theory would fit the gap, but on reading further they need quite a lot of clearance each side. Before i give up on the idea is this the norm for electric radiators?

What's the reason for the clearance, damage to the radiator or surrounding walls? Cheers for any replies

Sponsored Links
Its for fire safety, heat transfers even when the source and the combustible material are separated by an air gap (convection I think). You will be taking a risk if you don't follow the manufacturers guidance.

Blup

Its for fire safety, heat transfers even when the source and the combustible material are separated by an air gap (convection I think). You will be taking a risk if you don't follow the manufacturers guidance.

Blup
Cheers Blup. Does this go for every type of electrical radiator or are there some that i could use.

Oil-filled electric radiators run at a lower temperature than electric convectors, so might have a smaller gap. You must read the manufacturers instructions.

Are the walls tiled brick, or is there combustible material nearby?

Sponsored Links
Oil-filled electric radiators run at a lower temperature than electric convectors, so might have a smaller gap. You must read the manufacturers instructions.

Are the walls tiled brick, or is there combustible material nearby?
Brick walls(plastered ) & only combustible material nearby is skirting board.

And how deep is the alcove?
(Oil-filled heaters are sometimes quite bulky)

I think you can get one to fit.

You might also consider an electrically heated towel rail (not a chrome one)

Whichever you get just remember that manufacturers advice is there for a reason (yes it often has a safety measure built into that figure but I`d advise usually following those instructions as a minimum guidance)

Whichever you get just remember that manufacturers advice is there for a reason (yes it often has a safety measure built into that figure but I`d advise usually following those instructions as a minimum guidance)
Definitely will follow manufacturers instructions.

general comments
a say 400w radiator in a confined space may turn into a maximum 250w output as it cuts in and out as it can't shift the heat fast enough through reduced convection and radiation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back