Electric heater triggered by Nest Thermostat heat link, wirelessly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, nice to meet you all (y)

I have a conundrum for you: I have a nest heat link controlling my electric hot water tank in the airing cupboard, but I want it to also trigger an electric heater in another room as well. Rather than run wiring to trigger a relay near the heater, I was hoping to use the nest's in built solid state relay (normally open or closed) to send a wireless signal to a smart socket, or RF remote controlled socket instead.

I was going to use IFTTT and a TP-Link kasa socket, however I see they have ended Nest support on IFTTT.

Any clues how I can get the nest heat link to trigger the heater, without wires?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the heater is in another room then how can you be certain it is safe to remotely switch the heater on ?

It may have been moved close to inflammable material ( curtains etc ) or inflammable material has been put on it.

If the heater is in another room then how can you be certain it is safe to remotely switch the heater on ?

It may have been moved close to inflammable material ( curtains etc ) or inflammable material has been put on it.

Point taken re: safety, thanks. All necessary precautions will be taken. I just need this to operate like any normal heating thermostat.

Sponsored Links
I wish you luck, originally Nest worked with Energenie MiHome TRV heads and would tell the head what temperature to set to. But Nest has withdrawn support, I did try and if I use the Energenie app it will change both Nest and TRV together, and it seems to link as expected, however when either the Nest dial is turned or the Nest schedule calls for a change, the TRV fails to follow, so I had to remove the link, and simply set the TRV to same program schedule as Nest.

It does seem as if you may be able to use Google Home, however not got my head around using it, The Nest Mini uses Google home, and you can get the Nest Mini to turn on Energenie smart sockets and lights, however it tends to behave like a mischievous little boy, ask it to turn off while playing music and it says turning off 5 switches and all the lights go out, ask it to turn lights back on, and it says I don't know how to do that yet.

So would you want to trust it with your heating?

I am slowly replacing Energenie sockets and light switches, the TRV heads seem OK, but had to switch off all power at consumer unit and switch back on to re-boot them many times, so moving to plug in units, zigbee in the main as Lidi do zigbee.

However if you do get Google Home app to do it, would love to hear how, and also how well it worked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back