Electric heaters - what would you reccomend?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
And how long do they last before they need replacing?

Last a lot longer than some shyte heater from Argos M!!
The first one I fitted is still going strong, not missed a beat in 6 years. Cost £250.
Still unconvinced about the maths though - you could spend £20 buying two fan heaters, and even if they only last two years before you have to replace them, the capital cost of purchasing means a payback of 17 years against your £350, 250% efficient (assuming it's not too cold outside, as efficiency drops the cooler it gets) heat pump. Granted, the cheaper running costs will help with this a bit, but I reckon you're still looking at 12-15 years of maintenance-free running on your heat pump before it breaks even...and that's assuming that every fan heater you buy is as unreliable as you think it's going to be. If they start lasting for three years before they break, the case for a heat pump gets even worse

Just being Devil's advocate Dicky ;) and I realise you get air conditioning with a heat pump too, which might be seen as a bonus worth paying for

With it being 2 appliances in one, so you could say it halves the price for the heater.
I installed one in an office I worked in, had an energy meter on it & the outdoor unit was in a large storeage area, it wasn't even an inverted unit & the cheapest Chinese one I could find on-line. It had a COP of 2.3, so for 2.3KW of heat it only consumed 1KW of leccy. So say I was on a 14p/KWhr tariff, it was costing roughly 6p/KWhr for heating in the winter or AC in the summer.

If it were me I'd site the outdoor unit on a south facing elevation, given that it's the UK - you'll use it more for heating than AC.

I did one site, slip level wooden holiday chalets & the only form of heating was two split units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back