electric heating advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

moving into a new property which is fitted with 'storage heaters' which iv been told are inefficient and part of an old system.

there is no gas line fitted in the property so i will need to install an electric heating system

can anybody tell me if the system below is any good, remember im trying to heat my property and save as much money on bills as i can..

i do intend to replace the carpets and fit a good quality underlay to catch as much heat as i can from the floor below as my flat is on the second floor.

Honeywell 800w HP-700
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/45729...ng/Honeywell-HP-700-Radiant-Panel-Heater-800W

Sponsored Links
Electric heating will cost you around 13p per kilowatt hour.

Gas heating will cost a little over 5p per kilowatt hour.

An air source electric heat pump will use electricity but only at about 300% efficiency, in other words, with a runing cost of circa 4.3p per kilowatt hour.

Air source heat pumps are expensive to buy (well more expensive than the Honeywell heater) and need an external module which may be difficult to site.

Bear in mind night storage heaters were designed to use off peak electricity. Your heaters, whilst not the last word in responsiveness, are mainly using cheap tariff electricity at around 4p a kilowatt hour between 12 and 6am.

Your Honeywell unit has no storage capability and therefore will use electricity at the higher rate, so you can expect bigger bills than what you have now.

Finally, if you want to sap your neighbours heat, the less you put on the floor, the more successful you will be. If you lay a thick underlay, you will be reducing the heat transfer from their flat to yours (and vice versa).

Ha! Saving energy is an expensive business but I would lean towards good quality air to air heat pumps for space heating and a decent sized unvented water cylinder heated electrically from your off peak electricity. Avoid multiple units run from one condensing unit as they can be a pain if the condensing unit fails

Good point about the flooring.. have to rethink my plans.. maybe a lower grade underlay as i still want to help reduce wear on the carpet and give it a softer feel

think i understand what u mean about the heating units, problem is im moving into a flat which i cant alter structurally (external units/vents)
iv got a large lounge and 2 bedrooms to heat

can anyone recommend a good quality, economical, standalone system that i could use?

if you know of any products including modern storage heaters if there are any then please mention them

Sponsored Links
Your system uses water in the radiators but is amongst the least cost effective solutions money can buy. It uses electricity at peak rate so you are paying 13p per kilowatt hour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back