Electric heating questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at buying a flat that currently uses old electric storage heaters for space heating (building has no gas), and was wondering how do modern electric heating systems compare with GCH for running costs - past experience of storage heaters hasn't been good.

Are modern storage heaters capable of storing enough heat from the overnight charge so that you don't need to top them up in the evening?

Are electic wet central heating systems better than storage heaters, assuming a large enough storage cyclinder is used?

I generally only heat in the evening for about 3 - 4 hours in the coldest months, so would it perhaps be more economical to use non storage heaters and a conventional electricity tariff rather than economy 7 and a storage system?

Sponsored Links
Are modern storage heaters capable of storing enough heat from the overnight charge so that you don't need to top them up in the evening?

No. You can get fan assisted storage heaters with better insulation but they're bulkier and more expensive to buy. They also need to be wired to both peak and off-peak circuits.

Are electic wet central heating systems better than storage heaters, assuming a large enough storage cyclinder is used?

If you have enough storage space for a large enough thermal store, possibly, but then you have the disadvantages of a wet system (leaks etc)

I generally only heat in the evening for about 3 - 4 hours in the coldest months, so would it perhaps be more economical to use non storage heaters and a conventional electricity tariff rather than economy 7 and a storage system?

Very possibly.

electric storage heaters and also a electric boiler linked to a cyl. are both expensive options compared to conventional systems.
We've fitted undersink unvented storage heaters in a few flats, i.e Ariston Ep15, you get get them in various sizes , 10, 15 & 30litres capacity.
But it also depends on what your gonna run of it, i.e elctric shower , bath etc

Thanks for the input. As I suspected, it sounds like off peak electric heating wouldn't work for me so probably best to stick with conventional electic heaters and only use them when required.

Since I really only need heat in the living room in the evening and am not too bothered about heating other rooms apart from maybe the bathroom, it may not work out too expensive.

Sponsored Links
Hello, just moved into a flat with storage heaters - one doesnt seem to get warm - and one has a timer on it - does this timer relate to all the heaters? confused! thanks!

Catherine, might be better starting a new thread rather than tagging onto an older one.

Aside, I will attempt to answer! Assuming your heaters are set up for Economy 7, then the timer is at the meter. Either a mechanical clock or the newer meters switch by a remote signal I believe. Either way, this puts you onto E7 from 0100 hrs to 0800 hrs. This switches the power supply on to the heaters to allow them to charge up on cheap rate electricity, heat is then stored, to be slowly released the following day.

There may be a switch at either end of the heaters, one is for the E7 supply, other is a 'boost' to supply extra heat if needed. This however is charged at the normal rate electricity tariff. (This=expensive!)

The heater that isnt working, check switch on E7 side is on, and fuse is ok. If yes, then supply needs to be tested to ensure heater is recieving power, dont try this unless competant. Unsure as to the purpose of the timer on the heater though, unless this is to switch it on/off during normal rate periods.

if you only have a few rooms to heat look at air to air heat pumps, they will give heating and cooling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back