Electric Hot water cylinder - hot pipes and boiling noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The copper pipes connected to our hot water cylinder are extremely hot to touch - and our hot water cylinder tends to 'boil' every 10 minutes or so. We've had a plumber in and he said it all looks to be in working order - I dont remember hot water cylinders in any of the other places we have lived in doing this - should it do this?
Also i noticed that the power supply cord is leaning up against the side of the cylinder which is warm (cant move it due to where the main plug is) - is this ok, its an old almost woollen looking insulation covering on the cord (sorry not very good with terminology!!!)

Sponsored Links
The thermostat is at the correct temperature (60 degrees c) - ive already checked. The first plumber did turn it down, and our hot water went to **** ie, shower was cold brrr! plus the pipes were still hot.

get electrician to check thermostat as it could have lost its calibration ,and may not be SAFE.renew cable as well
Regards
OLDPLUMB.

Sponsored Links
the thermostat might be at 60, but what temperature is the water?

And where is the thermostat?

Any chance of a photo?

Well i got an electrician in yesterday and WOW! talk about dodgy - the entire wiring system on the hot water cylinder was falling apart - stripped right back to bare wire in most spots and green gunk all over the wires as well. In the electricians words we were 'very lucky'. He replaced all of the wiring and the thermostat - UNFORTUNATELY the bl**dy cylinder is still boiling - not as much but its still definitely vocal. The electrician said if it continues then it is definitely a plumbing problem - a valve maybe :?: any ideas? :idea: (sorry i have no idea how to post pics on this forum - and i do have some of the old and new wiring)

Is it actually boiling or is what you hear just 'kettling' due to the immersion being covered in scale?

Do you have hard or soft water in NZ?

JohnD on Mon Sep 10 said:

Any chance of a photo?

still asking.

Is the cylinder heated just by an immersion heater, or is there a boiler heating it as well?

and go to //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6
for how to load a photo

It is just heated by an immersion heater

No, soft water in NZ

pics -
old wiring:
GetAttachment.jpg

wiring.jpg

still asking

I was hoping for a pic of the cylinder which showed the thermostat and element head

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back