Electric hot water tank and power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've recently purchased a one bedroom (all electric) flat and have quite a few questions about what to do with the current setup of the hot water installation.

I mostly use the hot water for showering. I have a washing machine and a dishwasher which are self heating and storage heaters (and normal ones) for rooms.

I'm not someone who has quick showers and I end up in a situation where my hot water cuts off completely and the power showers starts making weird noises. I've searched around and I believe this is caused by either the power shower maxing out its runtime or the tank running out of water and creating a vacuum because of the power shower pumping air.

Firstly, let's begin with the setup as it is now:
I have a Elson Opal electric hot water tank.
(image: https://www.diynot.com/diy/attachments/img_2113-jpg.168795/)
I also have a Aqualisa Aquastream power shower
(link: https://www.aqualisa.co.uk/power-shower-aquastream.html)

The bottom of the water tank and the bottom of the shower are at around the same level - 130cm off the ground.

I had a plumber in for a different problem, he took a look and gave me his opinion. In his opinion, the power shower is not really suited to the type of boiler I have. My boiler being one with internal feeding tank. I'm not sure if that's the case (about the internal feeding tank). My property seems to have different water feeds for the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink (discovered when the plumber stopped the water).
He had two recommendations:
I get a gravity fed system with the feeding tank in the loft. I'm not too sure about this option as I don't have loft rights even though I have a hatch to the loft inside the flat.
I get a pressurised hot water tank which delivers mains pressure for hot water.

I'm more inclined towards the second option - pressurised hot water tank (or I think they're called unvented?). But, would this work with a power shower?
What kind of cost would I expect around all of this?

I also stumbled onto this by accident - https://www.mcdonaldwaterstorage.co...r-hot-water-tanks#cubeflowelectriccombination
They seem to sell something that can straight up replace my current tank, but I'm not sure if they're any good as they seem to target council housing which would mean they're cost over performance?

Final question is around cost, how much would it be to replace the current tank with either option? I'm currently under shared ownership, so I'll not go ahead with this if it's too costly until I buy the whole property.

Sponsored Links
Stainless Steel unvented hot cylinder would mean you only need a shower valve. Every shower and tap will be high pressure and balanced pressure hot and cold.
Pumped showers are not designed for unvented systems.
You can use basic thermostatic shower valve, or digital shower suitable for high pressure system.
No pumped types.
To have an unvented cylinder installed you would need to check that it will be allowed to have a discharge pipe from the unit somehow done and job must be registered with local Building Control. Unit needs serviced once a year. All had to be installed by a G3 unvented qualified plumber.
I suggest you get a G3 plumber to look at your options

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back