Electric Kettles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have bought them all: cheap and not so cheap, Which? recommended and not.

But they all go the same way eventually: they refuse to switch off after boiling and some never switch off at all.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Sponsored Links
no, but I use softened water.

mine work until the plastic fittings on the lid (more recently, the start lever) degrade and break.

I used to have one of those early Russell Hobbs, which I actually inherited. Seemed to work for ever and I gave it away when restyling the kitchen.

I now get
Russell Hobbs 20460 Buckingham Quiet Boil Kettle - S / Steel
because I like the one-hand pop-up lid.

The first time a lid failed Debenhams sent me a new kettle free.

Did have several issues at one point with Kettles, my not so expensive Dualit has just decided to fail - it wasn’t boiling correctly (there were other issues before someone mentions the repair route).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We have had a RH quiet boil for about 5 years now. Apart from a descale 2-3 times a year, (we live in a very hard water area), we have had no problems with it. Boils quite quickly, quietly and has a filter in the spout which we rinse through once a week to minimise the scale deposits. When we de-scale we take the filter out and just drop it in the kettle to get a proper de-scale.

I carry a kettle on the van

years ago on a site in central London some individual ( builder ? ) with a warped sense of humour
Took a slash in my kettle :eek:

narrowed it down to 3 culprits

pretty much sums up the type of people you end up having to work with

years ago on a site in central London some individual ( builder ? ) with a warped sense of humour
Took a slash in my kettle :eek:
Years ago when I was working for a company, we had a staff bog and a student one. I had a slash in the bog, flushed it and as I was washing my hands I noticed something in the pan. It was a few pieces of ****. I flushed again and more **** came down. I took the lid off and some dirty **** had had a **** IN THE CISTERN! What’s was worse, I could see they had eaten sweetcorn for their tea the night before. Turned me right off sweetcorn for a while. :confused:

We have had a RH quiet boil for about 5 years now. Apart from a descale 2-3 times a year, (we live in a very hard water area), we have had no problems with it. Boils quite quickly, quietly and has a filter in the spout which we rinse through once a week to minimise the scale deposits. When we de-scale we take the filter out and just drop it in the kettle to get a proper de-scale.

Get an Aquabion fitted

Sponsored Links
Back