Electric motor winding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho all you self isolators,

I have a electric garden wood chipper that recently stopped working due to a blown capacitor. Replaced but the operation is somewhat flaky!

The direction switch no longer reverses the motor; if I exchange the terminals on the motor, it then rotates in the other direction but will not go forward.

Today, it was 'kinda' working but seemed very slow; then suddenly, it revved up to normal rotation speed.

But the bigger concern was the smell and smoke that started. Of course, I immediately stopped it and when cool, had another look inside.

Looks like a section of the windings around the motor, furthest from the bushes, is black and the wax string holding the windings together has melted. Obviously not good!

I am reluctant to throw away a perfectly good bit of machinery, but is there any way that I can repair the winding, assuming it is just a simple break? Or is it not worth the effort (which is the most likely scenario.)

Thanks, toodle pip and stay safe.

Sponsored Links
When you let the magic smoke out of any piece of electrical equipment you no longer have a "perfectly good bit of machinery.."

I suggest the cost of repair will far exceed the cost of replacement.

I know a fairy, her name is Nuff; Fairy Nuff

You are probably correct but thought it worth asking.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back