Log splitter

Sponsored Links
I have now:D. Mine is the same but supposedly rated at 6Ton. There appear to be 2 sizes in reality. One with a 1500w motor and one like mine with a 2200w motor. So I take the 4ton,5ton,6ton 7ton, and even seen one listed as 8ton with a big pinch of salt.
Was bit bemused by the person who said their motor ran all the time. No idea how they get the ram to retract. It can only retract when the motor and hence the pump has stopped and the fluid can flow back into the tank.

I am that person.....
My idea - rightly or wrongly - was for me to operate the ram with my left hand whilst holding the log in place with my right. I admit this would override one of the safety systems but at least the log would stay in place. Either way, its only me that operates this one so that's my decision.
I changed the push to go switch for a normal rocker that would latch on.
You'll notice the go lever operates a plunger which goes into the hydraulic ram control? Well, this plunger has a neutral position where its neither pushing or allowing retraction. This is a very fine point so I threaded a screw into the go lever handle which allows me to set the adjustment accurately (it needs readjustment from time to time).
Anyway, it does work - I can hold the log steady until the ram holds it ready for splitting.....previously the logs would just be pushed out of the way unless their shape was ideal.
Although these are Chinese machines I must say I'm pleased with mine - it has had years of serious grief and has split rounds of 2'6" diameter and more. I have had to weld up the stand though, and also weld in a diagonal for extra support.
John :)

I get my wife to use ours so any safety devices are definitely needed. When working have no complaints with it especially at £149. Will in the spring look at the Hyundai Kinetic ones as they seem much faster as we do have a lot of logs each year to split, some
10 tons plus. Hyundai have withdrawn all theirs as they did not comply with EU safety legislation and the updated versions will be available in spring.

Sponsored Links
It's the oft old problem, if I were to get a log splitter it would be a 35 ton petrol job. More power = less variability. In other words, the log will be split.

These electric machines work remarkably well for a domestic situation, but for a firewood producer a petrol one is needed......trouble is, they are usually huge and heavy, and need to be towed :eek:
Never mind the price!

Before I modified my Machine Mart splitter, I found I was having to lean on the log just to keep it in place, on occasion....not the safest either!
Ideally they need some sort of claw to hold the log.

Burnerman two questions.

1 The thing that stops the ram retracting back shown on the Titan video is different to the useless one on mine, Mine has a physical stop on a support arm that needs adjusting with a hex key wheres the one on the video looks so much easier. Just dropping a metal plaet into a slot.

2. What oil is recommended for yours? My manual states ISO 22 whereas the Titan blurb states ISO32

I couldn't find the Titan video with any sort of ram stop.....my machine has no such arrangement anyway - but a log jammed in behind the ram and the plate that covers the go lever does no harm.
I haven't had to top up the oil on mine (I can't see any reservoir anyway so would access via the air valve on the ram I think)
and the only difference between those oils is the viscosity. ISO22 is equivalent to SAE5W and ISO32 equivalent to SAE10W.
Either would do but the lighter grade could help under extreme cold conditions.
Personally for machines like these I use Carplan jack oil which has been fine both on my trolley jacks and motorbike lifting table.

About 30 seconds into this shows the return stop arrangement. https://www.titan-pro.co.uk/p/269/Log-Splitter-Including-Stand-7-Ton On the page where you can purchase extras is a RAm Stop KIt, which is the same useless bit of junk mine has on. Not sure why one would buy this if it comes fitted with the other type. I am looking around to see if it can be obtained.

The oil seems a bit hit and miss my manual says 22, the Titan Video 32 and some guy on YouTube says 46. As you say probably with something this "precise" is makes no difference.

Good video! My machine has neither of those attachments but I could cobble up something if needed.
Using a 46 weight oil would definitely slow up the ram - particularly on its return stroke so I'd go for the lighter stuff.

If you did cobble up something would probably be better than anything the manufacturer has come up with.
Ive got some 32 oil off a friend so will treat the splitter to complete change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back