I'm trying get my hotpoint washing machine to spin clockwise

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
on of my pet hates (I know there are more important things in life!) is that the new Hotpoint washing machine I have spins anti-clockwise, have grown up using washing machines that all spin in a clockwise motion, sure even the spin icon next to the spin button on the front fascia of the washing machine has an arrow pointing in the clockwise direction, however the washing machine spins anti-clockwise. I did hear someone say the 'true' Hotpoint washers spun clockwise, but when Hotpoint machines were made by Indesit they spun anticlockwise.

The motor inside the machine is 3 Phase Induction motor - has 5 wires going to connector on the motor 2 wires are red they go to the tacho at the back of the motor, the 3 other wires are black - inside the motor going to the motor windings there is a thick Red wire and a thick Blue wire and a black middle wire. - If I were to swap the 3 black wires going to the motor connector is it a possibility that the motor will travel in the opposite direction thus giving me a clockwise spin direction? - I know you wouldnt be able to do this on an AC mains motor with 2 wires because the direction of the motor would just run in the same direction even if you swapped the live and the neutral wires but does this machine have a induction DC motor? by swapping the wires would it confuse the motor electronic unit and confuse it?

The motor has this written on its label:
C.E.SET CIM 2/55-132/AD6 195 V - 3.7 A - 800 W - 290 Hz - 17000 RPM

Can anyone please offer any electrical / technical advice on what would happen if I swapped 2 of the outer 3 Black wires going into the Induction motor? would it make the motor spin in the clockwise direction?

Sponsored Links
It would go bang. The reason they go anticlockwise is anti tangle the clothes cos it don't bounce round the kitchen like the old ones plus the old ones had timers new ones pcbs.

It would go bang. The reason they go anticlockwise is anti tangle the clothes cos it don't bounce round the kitchen like the old ones plus the old ones had timers new ones pcbs.

I had a Wf840p Ultima machine before, that had an Induction motor, an electronic PCB, Spun Clockwise - never tangled clothes and didnt jump around the kitchen! - haha :) :LOL:

Nope, spun both ways not just one way , next question !!

Sponsored Links
Maybe move south of the equator? The Coriolis Effect causes water to spin the opposite way when it drains so it might make your washer spin the other way :LOL:
(In reality it is probably a universal motor and the brushes will likely be angled in the motor so spinning it opposite way will knacker it)

I'm not dreaming all my previous Hotpoints (brush motors and induction motors) done the last spin always clockwise - honest! my last Hotpoint was a Wf840 that spun clockwise too and then I bought a up to date Beko washer and that did its last spin forwards (clockwise) and now I have this Hotpoint Ultima Weapons of Mass Ultra Destruction (WMUD 843) and that spins backwards! (anti-clockwise) - its setting me OCD off! :)

Maybe move south of the equator? The Coriolis Effect causes water to spin the opposite way when it drains so it might make your washer spin the other way :LOL:
(In reality it is probably a universal motor and the brushes will likely be angled in the motor so spinning it opposite way will knacker it)

Its a brushless motor fitted mate ....

Both motors brushes and induction spin both ways brushes are angled for the round armature to fit around so both ways not a problem. And I'm closer to you than you think just a area I like so I can be anywhere tomorrow. Might try turkey sounds nice.......

Last spin I am talking about before the cycle ended - It always spun Clock-wise am pretty sure of it, I dunno what way it spun during rinse, it may have well spun anti-clockwise through rinse cycle I didnt observe it ...

All I can say, Andy is that you must be a very sad person to be concerned about such things. :rolleyes:

All I can say, Andy is that you must be a very sad person to be concerned about such things. :rolleyes:

concerned is too much of a strong word to use, but I would prefer it to spin clockwise :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back