Logs too short for hydraulic splitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought this recently:
https://www.titan-pro.co.uk/p/269/Log-Splitter-Including-Stand-7-Ton

I'm pretty pleased with it but the ram at maximum travel doesn't go closer than about 25cm from the 'blade'. I have a lot of large rounds cut just too short.

I have tried padding the ram with another piece of timber but wondered if there's something better like a brick of super tough, non shatter plastic, I might use. Anyone got any tips or recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I use two pieces of C section channel welded together to form a square - big enough to slide up the bed but not interfere with the side supports which are pretty thin material. I had to grind a bit of a hollow because the moving plate has a 'nose'.
Hard plastic blocks are fiercely expensive.
I have the Clarke machine which looks very similar.....it has performed well for a few years now but I have extended the side support away from the operator to hold larger logs easily (moderate success) and altered the switch so I can hold the log in place with one hand whilst operating the GO lever with the other.
Faults? The alloy plate over the GO lever bends big time, and the wheels on the stand come adrift at the axle.
Keep the ram and slider well oiled, but the sharp anvil has been good and remained that way.
Note that old hardwood logs split like bullets so its much better to do them green!
John :)

For sure, my logs are anything but square and perfect, usually branch forks or cuts at 45 deg :(
If you can't hold them down, usually they are just pushed out of the way - hence my conversion to one hand operation.
When bought and for safety, the off / on switch doesn't latch so you have to hold that one on which starts the motor and the other hand pulling the GO lever. The ram travels happily up the bed and the log goes bye bye.
I have split rounds of over 2'6" though which the machine deals without problems - although it can dance around a bit :whistle:

I fitted a bungee to make the lever not be sprung - so you can turn it on/off and it stays put.

I changed the usual push/on non latching switch for an on/off so the motor runs all the time.
The lever that works the forward/reverse switch I drilled and put a screw in so I can adjust it.....with the motor running the ram doesn't move at all, although the adjustment is critical and needs to be reset from time to time.
With your arrangement, how does the ram return to the rest position?

It doesn't, it returns only when I tell it to. Which means it only goes back as far as I want, reviving the need for a ram stop.

I actually bought one of those but it doesn't work well.

Part of my reasoning for the conversion I did was to prevent the motor stopping and starting every couple of seconds - although it did seem to cope with this well enough.
With my system, the thermal cutout on the motor operates after a while but automatically resets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back